Wednesday 24 December 2008

Last minute sprint to the finish line and beyond!

I finished Mr Josiekitten's knitted presents today, in the nick of time! He asked for a scarf and hat. I used the Ribs and Ruffles pattern from Misti Alpaca, cast on 27 stitches and omitted the ruffles! I used 6 skeins of Mirasol Sulka, which was lovely to knit with. I used shade 204, a deep chocolate brown colour. It's a mix of 60% merino wool, 20% alpaca and 20% silk. I'm very pleased with the scarf, and think that I may well 'borrow' it from time to time, as it goes perfectly with my brown cords and bodywarmer! The hat I am less happy with. It's based on the Harris hat, by Jane Ellison, and is knitted using one skein of Noro Iro yarn. I changed the pattern, and left off the reverse stocking stitch edging. It's a simple k2p2 ribbing, and I knitted it in the round so I wouldn't have a seam to sew up at the last minute! Although Noro isn't a cheap yarn, it looks a bit rustic next to the scarf, which feels so luxurious. I may well knit him another hat in the New Year. I have a skein of the Sulka left, but I'm not too sure about Mr Josiekitten being a matching hat and scarf kind of man!

The boyzies came outside to investigate, and gave the scarf the paws up for snugglability! They tried their hardest with their cutest, most pleading poses, but I turned a deaf ear on their requests for blankies knitted in Sulka though. Hand wash only - I don't think so! Hopefully, the large turkey sitting in the fridge will be some compensation!

Following yesterday's blog post, I have decided to set myself a challenge for 2009. I have picked out 12 skeins of sock yarn -one for each month - and I am going to knit each pair of socks using a different pattern, rather than the Violet Green sock generator that I usually use. I have a couple of sock books that should prove helpful: Vogue Knitting - the Ultimate Sock Book and Sensational Knitted Socks, so I am hoping to overcome my usual problem with resizing. It was a tricky choice, rummaging in the (large) box of sock yarn, but here's my final twelve:

2009 Sock Challenge!


I shall, no doubt, be making some other knitterly resolutions before January 1st. And I shall report back this time next year on the success of my 2009 Sock Challenge! Watch this space! In the meantime, have a very Happy Christmas, and at least one squishy parcel to open!

1 comment:

snoopydogknits said...

What a good idea. Maybe it could catch on. Love the pic of both your cats on the table. What stars!!! The scarf looks lovely and so does the hat. What a lucky mr josiekitten. Hope you have a squishy parcel to open tomorrow.