Monday 3 November 2008

1st Knitaversary in the sun

Mr Josiekitten and I have just come back from a week on the Greek island of Kos. It's one of our most favourite places, and we try to get back there at least once a year. We were some of the last visitors this time, which was fine. The beach was empty, the tavernas were very quiet, and we had a thoroughly good time. Whilst we were away, I celebrated my 1st Knitaversary. It was during our holiday in Ireland this time last year that I got the urge to start knitting again. I was reading The Friday Night Knitting Club, and happened to come across a wonderful yarn shop in the town of Kenmare - Spin a Yarn. I popped in, fell in love with the Noro throw on the sofa, and the rest, as they say, is history! I came away with 2 skeins of Noro Iro yarn to make a scarf, and haven't looked back since. Right through my teenage years, all I wanted to do was knit, and my ambition was to have my own yarn shop. Somehow I ended up becoming a teacher! Once I started teaching, there seemed to be no time for knitting, and it just fell by the wayside. I didn't ever imagine that so many years later, knitting would once again become such an important part of my life. I knit every day, as far as possible, even if it's only a couple of rows. It's such a stress-buster, and it's nice to have a bit of 'me' time. I've managed to accumulate an impressive stash during the year, and love knitting socks and scarves!

I managed to knit some lovely socks on holiday. Mr Josiekitten asked me (a little sarcastically I felt!) if I'd got enough wool, when he saw the bags that I extracted from the suitcases! I do like to have some choice, so I knew I'd packed more than I needed. The first pair of socks I made were Waving not Drowning , using yarn from WildFireFibres. I love the colours - they look so pretty! I make no apologies for the 'Yarn Harlot-esque' photo. The beach really was that empty, and the sea was warm. The colours reminded me of bougainvillea, so I took some 'arty' photos of the flowers growing near our balcony. These socks will always remind me of hot, sunny days in Greece, and I will wear them on cold, grey winter days to keep me smiling!



I also started a pair of Tiger Feet socks for my favourite 2nd cousin, once removed, Norm! We stayed with him over the summer when we went to Canada. His house is full of hunting memorabilia, animal skins and the like! So I thought he'd be quite amused to receive these for Christmas. I knitted the first sock in a couple of days, and got up to the heel flap on the 2nd sock during the flight home. I shall try to crack on with this over the next few days.

The wonderfully snuggly 'Haven' scarf was also on my holiday knitlist, using Rowan Cocoon yarn. Just the name makes me feel all warm and cosy. I came up with what I thought was a rather witty name - a 'Kos-y' scarf, since it was going to be knitted on the island of Kos. ( I know, I'm easily amused!) I only managed 3 pattern repeats as it was a bit too warm to knit with, and also wasn't as portable! I can't wait to get it finished, as it's so cold and gloomy here on the north Norfolk coast. I'll post a picture when it looks more impressive!

1 comment:

snoopydogknits said...

Looks you like you had a fabulous holiday josiekitten! I love, love, love those 'Waving,not Drowning' socks. The colours are just gorgeous. I think Cousin Norm will lve the Tiger Feet socks!