Sunday 15 April 2012

A week in the Lake District

Yoohoo! Yes, 'tis I, Josiekitten, back from my holidays! It feels like ages since I last blogged. Our holiday started with two days in Congleton, Cheshire, celebrating the marriage of Snoopydog's elder daughter. We had a lovely time, it was a delight to be part of such a happy event. I won't post many photos here. If you'd like to see more, then you can pop over to Snoop's blog here.
wedding
We made our way up to the Lake District on Saturday. We were staying in a converted coal hole, and very nice it was too! It was in the village of Troutbeck, between Windermere and Ambleside, but so peaceful. This was our view.
Lake District April 2012 (154)
We were pretty lucky with the weather, and managed to dodge the showers most of the time. We visited lots of National Trust properties (I'll blog about these another time), and also got our fair share of lakes and hills. Here's Coniston Water looking very tranquil.
Lake District April 2012 (148)
There had been snow the previous week and you could still see some on the top of some of the peaks.
Lake District April 2012 (89)
The Kirkstone pass was actually closed by snow a few days previously, and there were still patches of snow as we drove through. Here you can see the view towards Brothers Water.
Lake District April 2012 (79)
We ended up at Aira Force and walked up to see the waterfall before picnicking on the shore of Ullswater. It really is a beautiful part of England. I never tire of the views.
Lake District April 2012 (88)
On the last afternoon we went out on Lake Windermere!
  Lake District April 2012 (201)
There were plenty, and I do mean plenty of sheep! Sheep farming is still big business in the Lakes. The Herdwick sheep is native to this part of England. The sheep are very distinctive with their grey bodies and white heads. The fleece is rather coarse and is generally used for furnishings like rugs. This little chap looks so serious, I wonder what he's thinking?!
Lake District April 2012 (28)
The lambing season was well underway, and there were lambs gambolling around the fields without a care in the world.
Lake District April 2012 (122)
Of course I managed to knit during the week! I knit a shawlette using some of my handspun yarn. The pattern is Les Abeilles from Knitspot. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The colours are so soft.
Les Abeilles (3)
I've also made progress on two different pairs of socks, but will show you those another time. Before you ask, I did make a small yarny purchase. We travelled up to the north of the Lake District to the pretty village of Caldbeck, where the Wool Clip can be found. I was most restrained and bought some Blue Faced Leicester fibre to spin up.....
Caldbeck BFL
.....and a felting kit. I'd like to try it out with the children at school some time in the future, so this kit seemed like a good idea. I'm not entirely sure yet why I need a wicker mat, but as there are full instructions, I'm sure that all will become clear! Watch this space!
feltmaking kit (1)
Well, I shall love you and leave you for now with one more breathtaking view over Lake Windermere. I'll be back soon to share some more of our holiday. xxx
Lake District April 2012 (115)

11 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

Lovely photos.It really is a beautiful part of the country.Thanks for reminding me.We havn't been for ages.Did you go to Holehird Garden?

Unknown said...

fantastic photo's lovely break and I love your shawl, very well knitted.

Anonymous said...

The wedding pics make it look wonderful and the scenery was breathtaking. Loving the shawlette!

Lynne said...

What gorgeous photos. I've never been to the Lake District, but the mountains remind me of the Mournes here in County Down, and the lakes remind me of County Fermanagh. Your shawl is beautiful, I love the colours.

Clicky Needles said...

Looks like you had a great time. The mat for is extra agitation! When we made felt we teamed the children up, big and little across the school, worked really well.

Northern Monkey said...

Looks like a fantastic holiday :)

Shannon said...

Ahhhhhh - I would love to visit there - it looks beautiful! Lovely shawlette too!

Jennyff said...

You lucky fish, that gorgeous wedding, a stay in the Lakes even if it was in a coal hole and finally being able to blog those words about knitting such a lovely shawlette using your own handspun yarn. Smug, you must be, you deserve to be, it all adds up to a very happy post.

snoopydogknits said...

Oh my goodness, that little Herwick sheep is SOOOO adorable. I want him NOW!!! It was such a lovely wedding weekend, made all the more special by your being there! Your stole looked beautiful. Glad you had a good week in the lakes too.
Rosx

Rhian Drinkwater said...

That shawl is gorgeous! And love the little sheep!

Kim said...

Oh, that little sheepy is so cute with his little face staring at the camera!!! He almost looks like a dog! These pictures of the countryside are so gorgeous and just how I imagine the English countryside to be! Great job on the Les Abeilles Helen. . . .