Sunday 24 November 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like .....


Christmas!!!!

 
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! (1)
 

Apologies to those of you who feel a bit bah-humbug about the festive season, but chez josiekitten, we are getting into the Christmas spirit! Today Mr JK got the boxes of decorations down from the roof so we could check that the lights were all in working order. You may remember that this time last year, we were surrounded by packing boxes, so taking a peep inside some of those boxes was a real treat this morning, meeting old friends again after a long absence. We always decorate the house on Advent Sunday, so I will be able to share some photos with you next weekend. I love the build up to Christmas, it makes me feel like I'm a kid again!

It's Stir Up Sunday today, so Mr JK and I have been busy in the kitchen making our Christmas puddings. We always make Delia Smith's recipe - it's delicious! This year, as well as making one large pudding, we've also made eight individual ones to give as gifts.

 
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! (2)
 
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! (4)


And it's become a bit of a tradition to make lamb and Guinness soup to use up the bottle of stout! So this was our lunch today, accompanied by some soda bread. Yum!
 
 
lamb and guinness soup


I haven't had much knitting time this week, and most of it has been spent working on a test knit that I can't share with you yet! I have cast on a hat for Mr JK to keep his head warm on our walks. We went out to the theatre last night, and when we got home, Florence had been ferreting in my knitting bag!!

 
Flo helps out! (2)


Luckily no damage was done! It's an easy knit, so it shouldn't take me too long to get it done. Mr JK wants it to fit snugly with no slouching, so I shall have to keep trying it on for fit. So I guess it won't be a surprise Christmas gift!! Here's how it's looking so far.
 
 
Mr Jk's hat (1)

Mr Jk's hat (2)


I received a couple of squishy parcels this week. The first was a skein of Dazzle DK from the Natural Dye Studio. I have been a member of their Rainbow Club for the past year, and next month's skein will complete my rainbow of beautiful yarns. I am planning a blanket and this might well become my Christmas holiday knitting project.

 
Rainbow club November


The second was some fibre from my friend Marianne's luxury fibre club. She dyed two colourways - one semi-solid and the other multi-coloured. I opted for the semi-solid version and got a braid of 'Veg'! The multi-coloured version is called 'Fruit' and it is seriously gorgeous. I have a bad case of the wanties - after all, I need a balanced diet don't I? Five a day and all that!! Take a look here at Marianne's photos. She really is a genius with the dyes.
 
 
Fluff-n-Stuff veg


I'll see you next week, when I'll hopefully have a finished hat to share with you. Have a good week! xx

9 comments:

Kathy said...

It's looking a lot like Christmas here too. We've got our decorations down for a good sort through, and we were at the Manchester Christmas Market this afternoon!

snoopydogknits said...

Love the little Advent Snowman! You've had a busy weekend, by the sound of it! :-) Rosx

Nonnu Neuloja said...

Lovely yarns! <3

Jennyff said...

Nothing like Christmas here. I was very cross to hear festive tunes in the supermarket this week, even worse when I found myself joining in. I may get into the spirit of things, but not for quite a while yet so carry on without me.

Celia said...

Uh oh! Busted in the knitting!

Justjen said...

I'm trying to get Christmassy.I love the house when it's all decorated, but I just wish someone else would do it for me - feeling a bit lazy this year lol.

Anonymous said...

we're busy getting our christmas on over here too!

oh that naughty florence! i'm glad she didn't cause more damage to the hat - it's looking really good! i love the texture of that stitch pattern

Anonymous said...

We can all see quite clearly that it was the bag that got the cats attention, not the knitting, although the knitting is very nice too. What got my attention are the lovely Xmas puds which has made me realise that we've used all ours up and I need to make some more! Bugger! One more thing for the "todo" list!

Brenda

Lynne said...

Wow! You're so organised with your decorations! I love the snowman. I've been decorating the living room, and Christmas has sort of snuck up on me. I'm going to have to give myself a shake, and get organised!