Sunday 19 March 2017

Book wars


I am currently being seduced by two books that have arrived chez josiekitten in the past week or so. Remember last month when I took a class in Brioche knitting at Unravel? Well I decided that I needed to have a copy of one of Nancy's books - and this was the one that she recommended to us. It has everything you need to master Brioche knitting and lots of patterns to practise and show off your new skills. 




My favourite scarf from Unravel was this one, knit in Kidsilk Haze ...




and the pattern is in the book! I don't have any KSH in my stash and I would probably be better starting off with a project in an 'easier to knit/unpick' yarn to be honest, but this one just keeps niggling away at me! 




The other book that I'm savouring is Kate Davies' latest offering - Inspired by Islay. I joined the Inspired by Islay club last year and it really was a fantastic one. For the bargainous sum of £30, members received a pattern each week for twelve weeks, as well as a discount on Kate's yarn, weekly newsletters and a printed version of all the patterns in the form of a book. The photography is outstanding and there is, as you would expect from Kate, a wealth of information about Islay. It makes me want to visit this beautiful part of the world. 




If you're a regular reader, you probably know that I have a bit of a love for bright colours and I am rather smitten with one of the sweaters in the book which features a rainbow yoke. Again, I don't have the yarn for it right now so it will have to sit on the back burner for the future. But it is rather lovely, don't you think?! What books are catching your attention right now? xxx


5 comments:

Lynne said...

That shawl is gorgeous! I can see why you love it. Would it be possible to make it with something easier to unpick than KSH? I'm a fan of Kate's designs too, and that jumper is fab. Me and me Deco cardigan are currently having issues. There's a difference of opinion on the short row shaping on the sleeve head.

VeggieMummy said...

That shawl is so beautiful and, sadly, way beyond my knitting skills. You know what they say though - 'Aim high or go home'. I have every faith that you will manage it and I can't wait to see the results. Happy knitting. xx

Jennyff said...

Of course you can manage the shawl with KSH, which if I remember correctly isn't as bad to unpick as some welded together mohair I've known. The shawl is gorgeous, why wouldn't you want it, you know you do and I want you to make it and tell me how it goes so I can maybe try. No pressure then.

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

Oh I have that Brioche book and taught myself the basics from it - No projects yet though. I totally agree that the KSH scarf is lovely :)

Claire said...

I have three balls of KSH waiting for a project. I might just have to buy that Brioche book to use them :) I am waiting for my birthday money (next Monday) so that I can buy myself Inspired by Islay. I love Kate's books, and there is a hoodie in it that I am intending to amend slightly to fit my 12 year old son.