Sunday 2 June 2019

200 more Crochet Stitches - a review




I have a real treat for all you crocheters and wannabe-crocheters out there today! Back in April I reviewed another of Tracey Todhunter's books - Crochet Learn it Love it, and I'm thrilled to be sharing another of Tracey's books with you today. The book is called 200 more Crochet Stitches, with the description 'a practical guide with swatches, charts and step-by-step instructions.'  Tracey, who blogs over at Granny Cool Crochet, is a well-known, popular crochet designer with more than 20 years of teaching crochet and she has filled this book to the absolute brim with some of the most amazing crochet stitches you could imagine. I'm more adventurous with my knitting than my crochet, but with the help of this book, I was able to be brave and dip my toes into the crochet world beyond the granny square. 




As well as a huge directory of stitches, this book also has a brilliant Crochet Skills section so that even a beginner could use this book to expand on their crochet skills as it takes you through materials, equipment, basic techniques and stitches. The Stitch Directory is divided into 12 sections: Basic Stitches, Fans and Shells, Clusters, Puffs and Popcorns, Spike Stitches, Raised Stitches, Mesh and Filet, Lace and Openwork, Waves and Chevrons, Textured Stitches, Tunisian Stitches, Colourwork and Edgings. The contents pages very clearly show each stitch with a colour photo, so if you know the kind of stitch you're looking for, it's dead easy to go straight to the page needed. 







Each stitch not only has a clear, colour, actual size photo, but also comes with step-by-step photos, written instructions and charts which I found incredibly helpful. Having only just started to read crochet charts when I reviewed Tracey's other book, I challenged myself to become more proficient in this skill as I tried out some of the stitches. As I read each instruction, I then looked at the corresponding chart and tried to crochet following that. And do you know what? It actually became a lot easier the more I tried. (I was exactly the same with knitting, preferring written instructions to charts, but persevered and now prefer the simplicity of the charts - much quicker and less cluttered than all that reading!) Tracey also offers suggestions for the sorts of projects that can be made from the different stitch patterns which is very helpful. I picked out a few stitches that caught my eye to have a play...


*** Braided Stripes***



*** Picot Fans ***



*** Flower Garden ***




I really like this book and I know that it's going to be a fabulous source of inspiration for me as I would really like to do some more crochet designs. Only one thing would have made it even better and that would be to make it a spiral bound book, so that the pages stay open at the chosen stitch more easily. But I guess as it gets more use, that will happen naturally. I don't think it's going to take too long!

200 more Crochet Stitches by Tracey Todhunter is published by Search Press and is available now. 

ISBN: 978-1-78221-663-6

RRP: £14.99

Search Press have very generously offered to give a copy of this book to one lucky person. I'm really sorry but due to publishing restrictions, it's only available to people in the UK. If you'd like to be in with a chance of winning this brilliant crochet book, please leave me a comment and also a way to contact you if you're the winner (Ravelry/Instagram name or email address.) The giveaway will run until midnight on Sunday 9th June and then a winner will be randomly selected. If I don't hear back from the winner within a week, I will pick another one! Good luck to all you UK crocheters and may the power of the hook be with you! xxx


28 comments:

Helen said...

I would love this book, I am trying to create a stash busting blanket and this looks like perfect stitch inspiration
flowabamford@icloud.com
Thank you

ChoccyLoverUK said...

This looks like a great book to expand my rather shakey knowledge of different crochet stitches, thanks for the opportunity to win!

Glad you're feeling more human this weekend and fingers crossed for better results next week :) x

My Ravelry name is : ChoccyLoverUK

Terrie Blackett said...

This book looks brilliant, I would love to win please ❤️�������� My email address is cuddlesterrie@msn.com

Trish Rapley Giles said...

What an inspirational book!
My Ravelry name is trishrapleygiles.

Unknown said...

What a lovely book, so many new stitches! It would be invaluable and inspirational when planning new projects. Thank you and to Search Press too! frizziejaniz@btinternet.com.

Charlotte said...

A really useful book! I have a similar one for knitting stitches and a crochet one would be a great addition to my library.
Ravelry name ParfittC

Artisans said...

Thanks for a fab review of a brilliant book. Your photos & description clearly describe how wonderfully structured this book by Tracey Todhunter is for creating crochet-lovers. It would certainly get plenty of use in my house. Thank you, Julie (Insta: artisans_jm) :-)

Pamela said...

Looks like a fabulous book! I really need something like this to help me to go that step further in my makes. Patterns totally confuse me, but this looks great! @kookieangeluk on Twitter x

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful book and one that could easily help me improve and learn more about good stitch definition etc. Dizzyspinner on Rav...

Posset said...

Looks a great book! Woolylynne on Instagram

VeggieMummy said...

That looks like a really useful book. I could definitely use some practice when it comes to reading charts - both knitting and crocheting. I'm VeggieMummy on Ravelry. xx

Elizabeth Brown said...

I would love to get back into crochet and win this book. Elizabeth.brown2017@outlook.com

Jill said...

This book looks as if it would help an average crocheter like me to improve my skills.

harbottphillil said...

I would love this book as i am not yet proficient at crochet and head back to the comfort zone of knitting instead of just doing it a bit more!
Ravelry Name tarbyh

Helen said...

What a fabulous book. I am new to crochet and have mastered the granny square. I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone and this book would be perfect to help me. @helenclaire59 on Instagram

Rumpers Ramblings said...

That looks like a cracking book, thank you for telling us about it. It looks like just the thing to help me make the blanket my daughter has requested - "an artistic assortment of different designs in one blanket" Yikes!
My instagram name is @conchitachedzita

Sarah Knits said...

That looks like the perfect way to expand my crochet stitch skills 😍. I've been doing the changing tides blanket and that has shown me some new stitches which has been fun and slightly challenging at times!

Jane Winter said...

Like you I find knitting easier than crochet and would really like to up my game in the crochet department.
I would also really like to know what happened to your finger in last week's post. I hope that it is healing well and that you are feeling better. I am Spinthrift on Ravelry.

Crimson Kettle said...

This looks a fabulous book, really well presented too. Hope you are keeping well.

PixieFoxtrot said...

Hi Helen, glad to see you posting "normally" again: I was a bit upset to see your wordless previous post, hoping you were feeling ok.
I won your previous crochet book prize, which I love, and am working on. I feel a bit guilty entering this draw, too, but this book looks amazing.
If I should be unbelievably lucky and am picked by the random number generator again, I leave it up to you to decide if you'd rather pick again to give someone else a chance!
I'm PixieFoxtrot on Ravelry.

Peter said...

I’d love to win this book, I enjoyed reading your review.
peterb195

C Carter said...

Put me in the draw please - that would certainly keep me busy learning all those!
carterclaire@hotmail.co.uk

Viv Fowler said...

I would love a copy of this book... I've been admiring it for a while now ����
My Ravelry/instagram name is Fran de Fleurs
(Email: - franflower@outlook.com)

PixieMum said...

Good as the Internet is for information, a book is still sometimes the best especially when crocheting outside.

I’m PixieMum for my blog , Knellergal in Ravelry, Madeleine in real life.

Thanks for your interesting blog.

Vicki said...

Thank you for such a clear review. Bought Tracey's last book based on your review and this sounds just as good
@madebyvicqui IG

Maria said...

I would love a copy of this book. It looks amazing. I'm relatively new to crochet (not quite 2 years) still learning and thus would be a fantastic book to have I'm slowly building my crochet reference library �� I love your IG account love hearing about Florence and her love of yarn
I'm @mammyhoneymonster on IG

EllieRaineKnits said...

After being a knitter for 30+ years I’m slowly learning to crochet. I’d love to win this book so I can learn more lovely stitches. YouTube is fine but not for a bookworm like me haha! My name in Ravelry is EllieRaine

Elaine said...

I'd love to win this - the book looks amazing! Should I be lucky enough to win you can contact me on Instagram @camrabelcrafts