Sunday 8 September 2019

New beginnings


I always liked the preparations for going back to school, even as a child (except for buying school shoes, don't get me started on that!) and that hasn't changed since becoming a teacher. I like to buy a couple of new folders to keep planning in, perhaps a new set of pens or occasionally a pencil case. So seeing all the 'back to school' things in the shops and knowing that I have no need of them currently left me feeling a bit like a fish out of water. So I decided to buy myself a couple of 'not going back to school' things, to bring a bit of cheer to the first week of (not) going back to school!

On Instagram I spotted someone knitting socks in a 'new to me' yarn. A little bit of detective work took me to the Etsy shop Burrow & Soar, and there I treated myself to a couple of beautiful skeins of sock yarn. The colours are just so pretty, I can't wait to start knitting with them. 




I had also read on Instagram about a 'Strictly Sockalong' starting during the launch show of this year's 'Strictly Come Dancing'. Another 'new to me' dyer, Lay Family Yarn, had created two different sock sets especially for the KAL, and I just couldn't resist 'Gorjus Darling'! I have a rough idea of the pattern I'm going to knit and hopefully if it all works out ok, I will write the pattern up if you like it. I wound the yarn, found the perfect matching project bag from ThreeBagsFull and had candles and fairly lights twinkling away in readiness. 






I also bought myself a new, bigger notebook for writing down my pattern notes. I've been using small notebooks but there isn't enough room to keep ball bands, yarn samples etc in those very easily. I'm really pleased with the book that I found on Amazon - the paper inside is a good quality as is the cover. The pens aren't new, but I really like using these along with the Waterman fountain pen that my Dad bought me many years ago. It's my absolute favourite to write with. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make a start on my next pattern. xxx



4 comments:

Lynne said...

The colors of the yarn are lovely. Like the bag a lot too! Your living room looks so neat and welcoming.It's nice you keep good records of your knitting. You take care and do hope your feeling better !

Jennyff said...

Good to see you are keeping up the routine, yarn and yarn related accoutrements should be on everyone’s new school year list. I’m not such a fan of stationery.

Christi said...

Your new yarns are such lovely colors, there are so many great cottage industries out there that have amazing products available. Tracking them down can be so satisfying and we end up with some special items. The project bag is very cute as well, love the kitty cats :) I'm sorry you are not back to school this year but hope you are feeling better. Hugs to you and Flo!

Take care,
Kim from Canada xxx

Lynne said...

Love a "not going back to school" present!! And that yarn is gorgeous, the colours are just beautiful. I shall look forward to seeing it knit up.