Sunday 3 January 2021

A new year begins


Hello and thank you so much for stopping by today. I hope that you had a good time over the holidays, even if your celebrations weren't quite what you'd hoped for. Usually at the start of a new year, I look back on everything that I've achieved over the past 12 months and see if I've managed to achieve all my goals. My only hope last year was that 2020 would be the year that I managed to get my myositis under control. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened, despite 12 weeks of chemotherapy treatment and also starting to take a new immunosuppressant. I have appointments with both of my consultants (locally and in London) at the beginning of February, and I'll hopefully find out what their plans are. Fingers crossed that my appointments don't get cancelled because of Covid. I'm looking forward to getting the vaccination and for a gradual return to a more normal way of life. I've spent three quarters of last year at home, shielding and am looking forward to being able to go to the beach and eat a bag of chips with plenty of salt and vinegar on them!

Knitting and crochet has definitely helped me to keep sane over the last twelve months, and I've tried to set myself goals for each month to keep me focussed and also to give my days some structure. I had a sock pattern in Simply Knitting magazine at the start of 2020, and managed to release four more sock designs over the year. In case you can't remember them, here they are, along with links to the patterns in my Ravelry store ...


















My fundraising for Myositis UK has been really important over the last year, and the yarn raffles and proceeds from my designing have managed to raise over £11,000 so far. Fundraising gives me something positive to concentrate on each week and I feel proud of what I've done so far. I'm carrying on with the weekly raffles throughout 2021 and have set a new target of £20,000. Let's see what happens! Thank you to everyone who has supported my fundraising by donating a prize or buying virtual raffle tickets! 

This year, I'm hoping to knit some more jumpers for myself so decided to create a 'Make 9' grid. There are three jumpers - Susurrus by Joji Locatelli, Bubbly Sweater by Isabell Kraemer and Pavement by Veera Valimaki. I already have the yarn for each of these projects, so shall feel very virtuous knitting from stash. There's one shawl - Nightshift by Andrea Mowry - and again, I have the yarn for this, gifted to me by my lovely friend Kim. I'm planning to take part in the Rainbow Chronicles year long project, which is a collaboration between Kelly Lay and Sew Sweet Violet. At the end of 2021, I should have twelve pairs of socks, the colours of the rainbow! The Habitation throw by Curious Handmade has also made it onto my list. I have no need for any more blankets, but I do love this design. Then there are three projects that I'm hoping to design. I have ideas bubbling away in the background and am looking forward to having a play with some yarn. As well as knitting, I will also be doing some crochet and some embroidery, and I hope to sew a few garments for myself too. So some exciting plans for the year which will definitely keep me out of mischief! What plans have you made for 2021? Is there a new knitting skill you'd like to accomplish? Please do leave me a comment telling me. Stay safe and well and I'll catch up with you again soon. xxx



 

3 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

Fish and chips on the beach.Wouldn’t that be bliss.
On Xmas Eve I decided I would try and use up my stash,mainly left from Attic 24 blankets.I would crochet 5 row granny squares while watching TV.I counted last night and I have 51.Result.I shall keep going.
I am amazed by how positive you are.A real lesson/ tonic for us all.I had a macrame kit for Xmas so that is my next project along with more granny squares!!
I do hope you get some answers in February to your health problems.Fingers crossed.
Stay safe
Barbarax

VeggieMummy said...

What lovely sock patterns; I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to designing. I'm with you on the chips though - I can't wait until we're allowed a visit to the seaside again. No new knitting skills on my list yet, although I do have a jumper languishing that I want to get finished. Happy New Year! xx

Christi said...

Your sock patterns are so lovely, you have done such a wonderful design with them! I also really like the Nightshift shawl, I've seen it made in some very unique color combinations and it's on my list of projects to do sometime in the future. I'm currently working on a pair of socks for my little Great-Nephew #1, G-N #2's socks are finished but I need to have both pairs completed before I can gift them to the little guys. I hope you are able to attend the appointments in February and the doctors have some new treatments that will be helpful. Chips and the seaside sounds like a wonderful treat, hopefully you will be able to get the vaccine soon and then be able to make it a plan!
Take care and stay safe, thinking of you and sending hugs,
Kim from Canada xx