Thursday 21 April 2011

My little haven

Hello there, hope you have been enjoying the sunshine where you are. It's been a gorgeous day here on the Norfolk coast. Mr JK and I spent most of it outside. I cleaned the decking (quite a big job as you can see from the photo) - luckily we have a power washer which certainly makes it easier, and then cleaned all the garden furniture. The umbrella was brought out from its winter hibernation in the shed, and hey presto, we're all ready for summer here in the josiekitten household!

clean decking (2)

Mr JK was busy working away in his vegetable plot. So far, the broad beans, mangetout and potatoes are in, and there's loads more ready - hopefully the onions, shallots and cabbages will go out tomorrow. He's bought a cage with butterfly netting this year, so with a bit of luck the wretched cabbage whites will be kept out!

Mr JK's veggie plot (1)

We sat on the bench drinking a cuppa, watching the local birdlife. There's Mr Blackbird, who has a bad foot. He's very friendly, and comes quite close now. There's also a robin who's a frequent visitor. We have a bird feeder in the garden, and it's always busy. We ended the day with our first barbeque of 2011. Baked potatoes, freshly picked salad leaves from the garden and this little lot - yummy!

first bbq of 2011 002

I think that it has been third time lucky with my Spriteling (knitting needles crossed, although that's probably a bad move!) I am working my way through clue 1, and have got to row 30, my best yet! Here's how it's looking - I hope that I have all of the right holes in all of the right places!

Spriteling clue 1 row 30 WIP

I'll be back soon to report on its progress! See you! xx

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty shawl. I'm also jealous that you have garden furniture. My apartment building has a backgard but our neighbors are pigs so it's always full of flies and smells of dog feces.

Northern Monkey said...

Your garden is lovely, I wish we could sit out in ours but it really isn't made for it, just a tiny patio area with uneven paving (we rent so wouldn't pay to fix it) which never gets any sun, bah!

Your lace is looking lovely, it's frustrating having to start over but it will be worth it in the end.

faith76 said...

Decking is the future! We are currently designing our garden and plan on some nice decking leading to our potted plants. Like the lace and the colour. Interested to see how this turns out. Leah x

Anonymous said...

Your lace is looking great!

And your garden is a lot tidier than mine - I just keep looking at mine and thinking vaguely that I ought to do something about it, then I put a chair on the lawn, sit on it, and knit or spin....

Jennyff said...

Glorious weather here too, it's like a different place when the sun comes out. Your garden does look lovely, very impressed with the veggies, such a nice place to sit and knit (though not necessarily lace).

snoopydogknits said...

Peasy looks fabulous; I love the colourway! Glad to hear Spriteling is now behaving! I've picked back several times now. Thank goodness for those lifelines! ;-) The colours of your homespun are beautiful. I wonder what you'll make with it? xRos

Susan @ Damn, Knit & Blast It said...

Wow - I'm green with envy at your veggie patch!

We spent a day building one raised bed and it has nearly killed us...

Planting next w/end...

melissa said...

oh your garden is completely lovely, what a perfect place to have a cuppa and watch the birds.