Sunday 9 June 2013

A little touch of luxury

My dear friend Kim gave me a delicious ball of luxury for my birthday last year - a ball of 50% silk and 50% qiviuk. Qiviuk comes from the underbelly of the Arctic Muskox and apparently it is the most expensive wool in the world. (I have to tell you at this point that Mr JK very kindly offered me his belly hair as an alternative, but I politely declined!!) The colourway she picked out for me was Iced Violet, it's a beautiful shade of pale purple with greyish hints.
 
 
2012 stash boost (12)


What to knit?! I tried a cowl to begin with, but it was rather floppy and I didn't think it would stay put around my neck. So after a little search, I found the perfect pattern - Plain Jhayne mitts. Except I decided that mine wouldn't be quite so plain because I was going to add some beads to make them extra special. I had some purple beads left over from the beaded Citron shawl I knit, and they were a great match with the yarn. What can I say about the mitts? Quite honestly, I don't think that I have ever felt yarn quite so soft and light as this, I know that they are going to keep my hands lovely and warm next winter. I might just have to have them threaded through my coat sleeves on ribbon so I don't lose them!! Have a good week! xxx

 
Not so Plain Jhaynes 006

Not so Plain Jhaynes 005

Not so Plain Jhaynes 001

Not so Plain Jhaynes 009

Not so Plain Jhaynes 008

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful use of the fiber! Those are going to be perfect. Quivet is wonderfully soft and unbelievably warm. I had to laugh that hubs offered his belly hair! I could see Rocky doing that for me too! :)

Chrissy said...

What an amazing gift. The mitts are beautiful. I love your photos too. Very artistic.

Celia said...

Very pretty!!

Claire said...

The mitts are so lovely, what a wonderful friend you have.

Lynne said...

What beautiful yarn, and your mittens are gorgeous.

Kaiya said...

Ohhh, I saw that qiviut vendor at the local yarn festival! Seeing your beautiful FO pictures makes me wish that I had been able to buy some!

Kim said...

What beautiful pictures! I especially love the one with your hands on Flo, of course. . . . . she needs a matching little collar or something. . . .

snoopydogknits said...

They look fab! Love them with the little beads. Ros

Anonymous said...

oh wow... i bet those are just like wearing a cloud on your hands!
they're gorgeous!! wonderful work!!
-melissa