Tuesday 18 February 2020

Is there anything more adorable ...


... than a baby in a bonnet?

WARNING: seriously cute baby photos alert!

When a friend asks if you will knit a bonnet for her baby, what do you do? Naturally I said yes and went searching on Ravelry straight away, looking for the vintage style of bonnet that I knew would appeal to mum. I eventually picked Morrie's Bonnet designed by Kelly van Niekerk. (She also designed the Puerperium cardigan which I've knit a few times now.) Yarn choice was easy. I chose Stylecraft Bambino yarn which comes in a gorgeous range of muted shades which were perfect for the vintage look I was aiming for. This DK yarn is 100% acrylic and is so soft that it almost feels a bit velvety. It's machine washable too which is important for baby clothes. It is actually exactly the same yarn as Stylecraft Bellissima, so you can interchange the two very happily. It's the yarn that I used to knit my Good Striations blanket in last year. Lots of beautiful colours to play with, including 4 new additions to the Bambino range - Bambino Prints. They work well on their own, or you could team them up with one or more of the solid colours in the range.





The pattern was very clearly written, and so quick to knit. Before I knew it, I'd finished one bonnet in Mellow Yellow and loved it so much that I cast on a second one straight away, this time in Denim Dungarees. I knit the 1-3 years size.





And here is little Dottie, completely adorable in her bonnets. I'm on the look out for a vintage cardigan pattern next. Any suggestions? xxx




5 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

What a sweetie-pie. Cute hats for adorable Dottie. x

Jane Winter said...

I love the pattern 'Sprinkle' which I have knitted a couple of times and which has a nice vintage feel. Sadly I never took any pictures or recorded them on Ravelry but you can find the pattern here. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sprinkle Your hats look gorgeous by the way and Dottie is indeed a beautiful model.

harbottphillil said...

Lovely bonnets such a sweet set of pics. I knit a Hayfield cardigan with hearts which I forgot to picture for Ravelry and another vintage pattern whoch is pictured with ladybird buttons (Ravelry name tarbyh). I also like the Rosabel Cardigan on there.
Sally

Suzanne said...

So cute! I knit a Purpurium and it was a fun knit.

Jennyff said...

Baby hats are so sweet and so easy to knit, our latest grand niece Isla already has two from her great aunt. I wonder if she needs a bonnet, probably a good idea with all the stormy weather we are getting.