Thursday 8 June 2023

Free Motion Stitching



I took part in a Zoom stitching class with Janine Pope earlier this year. She creates a very distinctive kind of figure and the class was learning about her drawing style and teaching the basics so that we would be able to create our own figure. I can't find a website for Janine, but she does occasionally post on her Instagram page and it was there that I found out about her online classes. You can find her Instagram page here. It was a completely different way of doing free motion stitching for me. If you have been following me for a while, you will know that I have made cushions in the style of Poppy Treffry in the past. Using Poppy's technique, fabrics are cut to the right size and shape and stitched onto the front of the backing fabric. With Janine's approach, you stitch on the wrong side of the fabric, attaching fabric in different layers on the reverse (the right side of the fabric) and then trim the fabric close to the stitching. The workshop was several hours long, but it certainly didn't feel it as we were so busy drawing and then stitching. You can see my first effort in the photo above. I definitely want to try again. I think that they would make perfect presents for people, making personalised portraits of them, don't you? xxx

 

4 comments:

Jane Winter said...

That is a fabulous picture of you and Flo; well done!

Vicki said...

Sounds like an interesting technique and it obviously creates good outcomes

VeggieMummy said...

I love this. What an adorable picture; you should be very proud. xx

Jennyff said...

That is lovely, I am sure Flo is giving it top marks.