Wednesday 16 December 2009

Tis the season to be jolly!

Well hello! Sorry that I didn't manage to get back to you last week. It was a Mad week! It whooshed past in a flurry of glitter and tinsel. Never mind, I'm back now, and I have lots to tell you! Are you sitting comfortably? Good, then I'll begin!
I celebrated my birthday last week, and was very spoiled by both Mr Josiekitten and my good friend Snoopydog. Mr Josiekitten ventured into our local yarn shop and bought me some fleece and two yummy skeins of Colinette Jitterbug. The colour are just gorgeous.

bday gifts and cards

Why fleece do I hear you ask? Well, here is my main present from Mr Josiekitten, for my birthday, wedding anniversary and Christmas combined! (December is rather expensive for poor Mr JK!) It's an Ashford Traveller spinning wheel and it currently looks like this.....

spinning wheel

I got as far as taking it all out of the box, but the wood needs to be sealed before it can be assembled. Hopefully this weekend, if I get a minute. I can't wait to get going! Snoopydog was extremely generous with her gifts - some yummy yarns, knitting needles, beads and a couple of books all about how to spin. I can't wait to be good enough to spin yarn that I can actually make something out of! I wonder how long that will take?

bday gifts and cards (1)

These birthday cards made me smile too. All on a knitting theme!

birthday cards

I've been busy making mini-stockings, some as presents and some for our Christmas tree. Here are the latest offerings....

mini stockings

I hope to get a few more made before Christmas. As well as knitted decorations, the children have been busy at school making felt trees. I taught them how to fix sequins on with beads, and they also used a sewing machine, with some adult help, to sew the trees together. I think the caretaker was just about ready to kill me after suffering a fortnight of sequins and beads on the classroom floor, but it was worth it in the end. The trees looked amazing all together (I forgot my camera that day), and the kids were rightly proud of their work.

sequinned trees

My stash has been enhanced a little too. I bought some more (yes, more!) sock yarn from Modern Knitting. Zitron Trekking in 3 different colourways, all already earmarked for projects!

sock yarn

I also got some Mini Mochi from a friend. She got a job lot at a show, and brought it along to knitting group to share. I didn't actually have a clue what colourway I'd ended up with until I got home as it was so dark in the pub! But I'm very pleased with my 'selection'!

birthday stash and more! (8)

I have another crochet book to show you too - it's called 'Beyond the Square - Crochet Motifs' by Edie Eckman, and it's packed full of different crochet shapes - circles, hexagons, triangles, squares and a few more unusual shapes. I'd like to spend a bit more time improving my crochet next year, and I think this is the perfect book! The book is beautifully illustrated throughout. I love the front cover!

even more stash 002

Snoopydog and I have booked for Knit Nation next summer - we're taking a finishing class with Anne Hanson, and a sock making class with Wendy Johnson. Should be a great weekend. I'd better start saving my pennies (or pounds!) for the market place. I have great hopes for the finishing course, as it's the sewing together that puts me off making jumpers and cardigans. Things don't ever look as good as I want them too. Although I have to say that my mattress stitch has improved since I've been making the mini-stockings as they have to be sewn together.

I have actually done some other knitting since we last met. My December socks are coming on well - one done and halfway down the leg of the 2nd. I still haven't got the pattern sorted, and was relieved to see that it didn't extend down the foot!

December sock WIP

I'm hoping to get the second one finished this week and knit Mr Josiekitten a pair of socks for Christmas. He's dropped enough hints!!

I've also cast on my 100th Ravelry project. I'm making a 10 stitch blanket using my stash of Noro Silk Garden. I decided to frog my Lizard Ridge blanket (I'd only done a little of one block) in favour of the 10 Stitch blanket, as there's very little finishing off! There are some fantastic projects on Ravelry to inspire you.

10 stitch blankie WIP

Mr Josiekitten and I went to Germany last weekend to see his family. We had a wonderful time visiting a couple of Christmas markets, so I shall love you and leave you with a snapshot of our weekend. Bye for now.

Christmas markets

3 comments:

melissa said...

wow - what a post! everything is so lovely and a new spinning wheel!?! how exciting!

love the ornaments and i am completely salivating over your 10-stitch blanket - it is going to be gorgeous!!

snoopydogknits said...

Oh my word! The German market pictures look amazing. Sooo pretty. Love the little trees the children made too. Very sweet. Hmm! Now that blanket just looks amazing. Can't wait to see it again when you've got a little further. Yay! We finish tomorrow! Have fun. Ros XXX

M.E. Greene said...

I'm really trying not to be petty... but I'll be honest. I'm jealous! :) Gorgeous goodies! And the spinning wheel... *sigh* not that I need another hobby, but I'd sure love to get my hands on one of those!