Saturday 31 December 2011

2011 - how was it for me?

It's New Year's Eve with the prospect of a brand new year only hours away, so time to take a look back at what I managed to achieve these past 12 months. To begin with, here's a selection of some of the projects I knit, one for each month of the year.
josiekitten's project a month 2011
Let's take a look back at my kntting resolutions for 2011 and see how many of them I managed to achieve!
1. To knit from stash - I set myself the target of knitting up 100 balls from my stash, and only managed to knit 50! I've been looking back through my stash photos, and although I have managed to acquire a fair bit of lovely new yarn, much of it has come through swaps with Ravelry friends. Apart from my Knit Nation splurge (which I had allowed for!), pretty much all of the yarn I bought this year was for specific projects and has been knit up already! So I feel pretty good about my yarn purchasing this year.  In total I have knit almost 12km of yarn in 2011!
2. To knit some garments for myself - I have managed to knit one cardigan this year - Peasy.
Peasy (1)
I do love this cardigan, although I did have a few sizing issues with it. Being so tall, knitting jumpers and cardies for myself is no quick (or cheap!) task! I have to lengthen the body and sleeves, and sometimes that results in extra width knitting too. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to take Anne Hanson's sweater fitness class and learn how to adjust patterns to fit me properly. I have a sweater currently as a WIP that I must crack on with in 2012.
3. To have less projects on the go at any one time - I have definitely had less projects on the go this year, although it hasn't stopped me having some projects hanging around for months! I still need my fix of instant gratification with a pair of socks or a scarf!
4. To try some different techniques - I didn't manage any colourwork (again!) but I have managed to knit with beads on my handspun Ishbel.
Aegean Ishbel (5)
I also got to grips with lace for the first time, and completed 4 or 5 different projects. One of my favourite is Long Shadows. This was the first project in the Fall in Full Color Club which I've been a member of this year.
Longshadows (3)
I wouldn't say that lace comes intuituively to me, but I am getting better at recognising whether I need a yarn over, a ssk or k2tog for example.
5. To have a go at designing - Despite taking a sock design class with Cookie at Knit Nation this year, I'm ashamed to say that I have got no further with designing my own pair of socks! I will do it one day, when I have more time to sit around and play. I have 'designed'  a couple of very simple items. The first was a hotwater bottle cover and the second was a little knitted Christmas tree for my school knitting club.
josiekitten designs!
6. To improve my spinning - I have been thrilled with the progress I have made with my spinning this year. I went on a spinning weekend way back in February and have been spinning regularly ever since. I even took part in the Tour de Fleece on Ravelry and won a prize for my efforts! Here's a photo montage of most of the yarn I have spun in 2011.
2011 - spinning year
So what am I hoping to achieve in the coming 12 months? Actually I think that my knitting aims are going to be pretty similar to those of 2011!
1. To knit from stash as much as possible! (Is the target of 100 balls knit from stash wildly optimistic?!)
2. To continue to learn new knitting skills. (I'm hoping that some colourwork will feature in at least one project in 2012!)
3. To carry on spinning. I would like to experiment with a wider variety of fibres this year (I have plenty in my stash, have no fear!) and to knit up more of my handspun yarn (Flo could be in for a number of blankies!)
4. To have a go at designing. I still think that there's a pair of socks in me somewhere!
So there you are! That's me done and dusted for 2011! Whatever your knitting plans are for 2012, I hope you have a happy, healthy and knitful New Year! See you next year! xxx

10 comments:

Jennyff said...

You should be very proud of yourself, those projects are all gorgeous. Here's to another year of wonderful woollens, Happy New Year.

Jo said...

I can't believe how productive you are with your knitting, especially as you work full time too, I don't know how you fit everything in. There's some beautiful garments there, and I love the beadwork, I wouldn't know where to start with that. Enjoy tonight's celebrations, whatever you've got planned, and all the best for 2012.

snoopydogknits said...

Some gorgeous projects completed this year!!! Love the handspuns too. Wishing you, Mr JK and Flo a very happy, healthy and woolly 2012!!! xxRos

Kathy said...

What a very busy time you've had this year ...so much knitting! I don't know how you fit it all in!
Wishing you a wonderful 2012!
Love Kathy xxx

Unknown said...

lovely knits and homespins. Happy new year.xxx

Alice Yu said...

Happy New Year! Gorgeous knits (love Peasy) and your spinning!! Beautiful!

Have a lovely woolly 2012!!

Stadtwaldvogel said...

Hi Helen, I think you spun and knit a lot in 2011. I can see your progress in spinning and your knitting has always been very pretty. Wishing you a lot of spinning and knitting time this year!
Yours, Julia

Lynne said...

You've made so many lovely things this year. Good luck with your plans for 2012. :)

Anonymous said...

you've had an amazingly productive and lovely year of knitting/spinning!
can't wait to see what 2012 brings for you!!
-melissa

Unknown said...

I love "Miss Doolittle." Happy knitting in 2012!

Noreen at longlakeyarns.net