Monday 21 October 2013

Stormy!

I've had a LOT of knitting time this weekend. I travelled from Norwich down to Devon on Friday evening to meet up with my old University friends. We meet up once a year and it's always good to see them and catch up. The weather was mixed - we did manage to dodge the showers on Saturday and went for a walk in the local countryside.

 
Devon weekend Oct 2013 (10)


Of course a cream tea was obligatory too! I really do love clotted cream!!


Devon weekend Oct 2013 (18)


The weather on Sunday was wild to say the least, and we battened down the hatches and played a variety of games. Qwirkle and Phase 10 are current favourites. The weekend passed all too fast, and before we knew it, we were back on the train heading home. Luckily I had my sock with me, because thanks to a lightning strike on some signalling equipment, all trains into London Paddington were delayed by over an hour! This is the Roxy sock, a free pattern just released on Ravelry by one of the members of the Three Bags Full group. It's Kim's first dabble with designing, so we are having a KAL in the group to show our support. I've been knitting the socks for less than a week and have already turned the heel on the second sock! The yarn is one that I've had in my stash for ages - a Regia self striping yarn that I bought in Canada many moons ago!!

 
Roxy socks WIP (1)


My hand knit gifts were well received and orders placed for next year!! Thankfully I won't have to travel because my friends are coming up to see the new house!
 
Mr JK and I are off (again!) on Friday after work. We are taking the night ferry from Harwich over to The Netherlands and spending the week in Germany visiting family and friends. I am going to try to be relatively monogamous with my knitting and work on my Caissa sweater. I am desperately in need of a new cardigan and this one has been on the go since (ahem!) Boxing Day last year! It is pretty straightforward knitting so I hope to make great progress on the autobahns! So all being well, I shall be back blogging again at the beginning of November. Until then, happy knitting everyone! xxx

8 comments:

Una said...

I think those sock wools are so clever. For a long time, I thought knitters were doing a type of Fair Isle design.

Jennyff said...

Liking the socks, its brilliant when designers make their patterns freely available. Have a lovely break, the holiday knitting sounds a bit intense. I hope you finish and knit socks all the way home.

busybusybeejay said...

Enjoy your half term break.What happens to Florence?

Celia said...

I love the colors of the socks.

Michele in Maine said...

Have a wonderful time in Germany! I hope you make great progress on Caissa. I saw lots of finished ones at Rhinebeck - so cozy! xxx

Anonymous said...

glad you had a fun reunion with your friends! i love qwirkle and phase 10 too!! you should look for a card game called five crowns if you don't have it already, it's my current favorite game!
-melissa

snoopydogknits said...

Pretty socks and yummy cream teas! What more could be asked for on such a stormy, dark afternoon as it is here today.;-) Ros

Emily said...

Hi there,

I am writing to you on behalf of Southbank Centre. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and I would love to speak with you about an upcoming knitting project organised by the centre.

If you would like to hear details about the project drop me an email at emily.browne@southbankcentre.co.uk

Best wishes,

Emily