Sunday 9 February 2014

Ready, set, go!!


So are you taking part in the Ravellenics on Ravelry during this year's Winter Olympics from Sochi? I finished up my mink and cashmere sweater during the training sessions in January. I was aiming to knit another jumper over the Games, but common sense has prevailed and I have decided to focus on my WIPs instead. Once they have been whittled down a bit, then I will cast on for something new. I am knitting very informally for three teams - Knitspot, ThreeBagsFull and Fluff-n-Stuff. Nothing too competitive here. I am glad of the chance to focus a little on those unfinished projects. It is so easy to become distracted by bright, shiny, new things!!
 
I have finished a cowl, knit as a birthday gift for a friend, using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran yarn. It's a knitspot pattern and I decided to make a chunkier version rather than the fingering weight recommended in the pattern. I love the combination of colours and may well knit one for myself at a later date as I have enough of the same colours of yarn in my stash.
 

 
Rain on a Hot Tin Roof cowl 001

Rain on a Hot Tin Roof cowl 004


I am also working on a pair of socks and a baby cardigan and will hopefully have some completed knits to share with you next time. I blew the dust off my spinning wheel as well - it has been far too long since I last did some spinning. I am finishing off the braid of Stinger (50% BFL and 50% Ramie) that I started way back last October!
 
 
Ravellenics spinning (2)


We had visitors over from Germany last weekend. Luckily the weather was kind to us and we were able to get out and about. We visited Pensthorpe, a nature and wildlife garden. It was beautiful in the sunshine.


Pensthorpe Feb 2014 016

Pensthorpe Feb 2014 018

Pensthorpe Feb 2014 020

Pensthorpe Feb 2014 007

Pensthorpe Feb 2014 002


They have a breeding programme for red squirrels there, it was great to be able to see them so close.
 
 
Pensthorpe Feb 2014 023


Of course, I had to try out the tea room!! Mr JK and I thoroughly enjoyed our broccoli and Stilton soup, and I just managed to make room for a piece of ginger and orange cake. Very nice it was too!
 
 
ginger and orange cake (2)


Afterwards, we headed up to the north Norfolk coast and walked along the beach at Wells-next-the-Sea.


Wells-next-the-Sea (2)

Wells-next-the-Sea (3)

Wells-next-the-Sea (1)


After a house full last weekend, we have been enjoying the peace and quiet this week. I have been delighted to notice the days getting longer and I have actually arrived home from work not needing full headlights on! Woo hoo! Spring is definitely in the air. These pretty snowdrops were barely out a week ago. Now look at them! Before long, the daffodils will be in flower too. Flo is impatient for the warmer weather as she loves to sit on the bench in the garden between Mr JK and me as we have a cup of tea! It's half term in a week, so perhaps we will manage it then. See you soon. xxx
 
 
signs of spring 2014 (3)

7 comments:

Jennyff said...

Both the pattern and the colours of the cowl are perfect and you are so sensible to concentrate on finishing some items as your olympic effort. I've spent most of today watching the games, fantastic that we already have a bronze so you need to aim high.

Helsie said...

Lovely scarf and some wonderful blue skies there too. Glad to hear that Spring is not far away.

Anonymous said...

Hi there - absolutely love your cowl, such a pretty pattern, and great colours. I've been watching the winter olympics and doing a bit of crochet, but not as much as I'd like, as there always seems to be something else more pressing to do! :)

Lynne said...

The cowl is beautiful. I would have a really hard time giving it away, as it goes so well with the purple coat! It's like they were made for each other!

snoopydogknits said...

Beautiful pics! Love the cowl; what a great gift! Rosx

Anonymous said...

Purple, lots of purple! The cardi you ripped out, Flo's cardi, your top whilst wearing Flo's cardi, your jacket and a good portion of that lovely cowl too! I'm not a Ravellenics knitter but I have joined a couple of sock challenges to get me motivated and knitting whilst watching a bit of the Olympics. Nice to see the snowdrops, we've had 70" of snow here so far this Winter, but I'd rather have that than all the rain and floods in England.

Anonymous said...

oh that cowl is gorgeous!!
and squirrels are my absolute favorite!! yay!!
-melissa