Sunday 1 October 2017

Welcome October


October already, how did that happen? There's a definite autumnal feeling in the air and I'm contemplating digging out my woolly scarves and cowls. I do like to have a cosy neck, it helps to keep the rest of me warm. 

I've been working on a design for the Stylecraft blogtour which starts later this month. I've seen some of the projects that the other Blogstars have been working on and there are some real beauties! I'll share the blogging schedule with you before the tour starts so that you can check out the designs each day. Plus you get to enter a competition to win a yarn pack each day too! We're using the Batik yarn and I really love the colours in my pack. I can't show you too much of what I'm working on right now, but I am pleased with how it's going so far!




I did a little bit of sewing today. My class decided that when they were 'Star of the Day', one of the perks should be sitting on a cushion! So I rustled up a cushion cover this afternoon. I'm not sure that cream was the best choice of colour, but we do have a washing machine in school! 




A little while ago, Winwick Mum got in touch with me to ask about my handspun sock yarn as she was writing an article for a magazine. I answered her questions as best I could and also sent her some samples of my handspun yarn so that she could see first hand what I was talking about. The article was published last month and Christine very kindly offered to send me a spare copy of the magazine. It's called British Fibre Art Magazine and it's not one that I've come across before. I'm working my way through it and I have to say, I'm finding it a really interesting read. I might have to see about getting hold of the next issue, it comes out every two months. 





I have managed to be super-organised and picked the winner of last month's Pay it Forward giveaway. You might remember that the prize was a beautiful skein of Old Maiden Aunt yarn that I bought when I visited her studio on a recent trip to Scotland. The random number generator picked out MelindaJ's post so I'll be getting in touch with her on Ravelry very soon. I haven't quite decided what the goodies will be for October's giveaway yet, so keep checking back. In the meantime, there's still time to enter the giveaway to win a Candy Swirl yarn cake from Stylecraft. 




I may well not be blogging next weekend as I'm running again! It will be a year since Mr JK ran his final race, the Yorkshire Marathon, and it has been my ultimate goal all year to be able to run in his footsteps in York a year on. I'm not running the marathon, but there is a 10 mile race on the same day which shares a lot of the marathon route. It's going to be an emotional time, but I really want to do it. My knee is still a little sore after the Great North Run, so there may be more walking but running but it doesn't matter. Just being there is all that's important. If you'd like to help with my fundraising for the British Heart Foundation, there's a link in the sidebar at the top of my blog. I have been so touched by all the messages of support and donations that I have received from people who follow me here, on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. You are very kind. 


Before I go, I must share a photo of Flo with you. She came upstairs this morning while I was knitting in bed, but her big black eyes meant trouble as she pounced after the yarn and scratched me! She really is a little tinker but I wouldn't be without her! Have a good week. xxx





4 comments:

Lynne said...

Your cushion is gorgeous, love those stars! Good luck with the run, you will be brilliant.

VeggieMummy said...

Naughty Flo! I could forgive that sweet little face anything though! Your starry cushion is a brilliant idea. xx

Winwick Mum said...

It is quite scary how fast the time is going, isn't it? I love your cushion and I'm sure that your "Star of the Day" is going to feel very special sitting on it. You could always ask them to wear a paper suit before sitting down ;) I'm glad you're enjoying the magazine, I was very grateful for your help as spinning is a whole new world to me. Hope your knee improves in time for the run, but I expect that just being there will be a special moment xx

Christi said...

Congratulations on getting published in two magazines, how very exciting! The star cushion turned out great, what a fun idea. I hope you had a good run.

Kim in Canada