Thursday 9 January 2020

Yarnuary 2020 - days 1-8





The wonderful designer Melanie Berg set a Yarnuary 2020 challenge over on Instagram. For those of you who don't 'do' Instagram, I thought you might find it interesting to see my entries so far. 


Day 1 - Who taught you to knit

My mum taught me to knit at an early age and I can remember making things for some of my dolls and teddies. I still have this scarf, wonky edges and all. My brother and I always wore handknit jumpers and cardigans, everyone did growing up in the 60's and 70's. I like this photo - my mum is wearing a cardigan she knit and I'm in another handknit that was most likely worn by my brother before me.





Day 2 - A technique you love

I love using the Magic Loop technique for knitting in the round. It was a light bulb moment for me when I understood how straightforward it was. No more wrestling with double pointed needles for me! 




Day 3 - Your favourite knitting place

As I can't permanently be sat on a beach on the Greek island of Kos, my favourite knitting place has to be my sofa at home. There are lots of cushions and blankets making it nice and cosy and I have all my projects and knitting notions close by.




Day 4 - A gift you've made

I love knitting socks as gifts for people and they are usually very well received. I knit this pair for my oncology consultant last year to thank her for taking care of me. She is the nicest, most empathetic person I have come across and I feel very lucky that I had her as my doctor.




Day 5 - A gift you've received

After Mr JK died, almost 50 of my knitting friends on Ravelry got together to knit me a beautiful blanket. It is a true gesture of friendship and comfort across the miles and is a big woolly hug for both me and Flo. Flo even got her own blanket! I can't thank this group of knitters enough for thinking of me and caring enough to do this. So much love went into this blanket.






Day 6 - Your favourite yarn

I don't have a favourite yarn as so much depends on what kind of project I'm working on. But nothing beats the satisfaction of knitting with your own handspun yarn. Flo (naturally) gets involved with quality control! 









Day 7 - How knitting has changed your life

I've always enjoyed knitting but never in a million years did I expect that it would give me the opportunity to be part of a group with the wonderful creative Stylecraft Blogstars. We meet up each year and there is always plenty of fun, laughter and chatting, not to mention yarn, cake and wine! I feel very lucky to have been invited to join and it's given me opportunities to start designing. 




Day 8 - Your knitting buddies

My local knitting buddy is Snoopydog, we have been to many yarn festivals together and are very good enablers! Further afield, I have lots of knitting friends in the USA. Bobbie and I met up when she was over from Alaska a few years ago. I was meant to meet with Michele before Christmas when she was visiting London, but the train gods conspired against us, and my fellow Queens of Yarn, Kim and Kat, have been great friends. One day they will be my guide around Rhinebeck! xxx







2 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

This is such a great idea. I love the photo of you and your mum - you are actually recognisable as a baby! Your favourite knitting place looks pretty much like mine. I need another lamp though - when I had to do a little bit of rearranging around the Christmas tree, I moved a lamp to the side of the sofa and it made a huge difference in the evenings. The blanket looks wonderful on your bed. xx

cristina said...

I love this post! I enjoyed every day of it, but the first one was delicious. Your mum's cardigan was wonderful.