Monday 30 March 2020

Shielding week 1


Well, what a strange and scary world we are in right now. I had an email from my consultant last week to tell me that it was vital that I stay at home for at least 12 weeks as I have a high risk of developing serious complications should I catch the Coronavirus. I also took part in a webinar which was presented by two myositis experts, and that brought home the vulnerable position I'm in. So I will be battening down the hatches and won't be going out in the big wide world until at least the middle of June! I'm very grateful to have a garden so at least I can go outside each day and appreciate the fresh air, birdsong and nature carrying on regardless. There are some wonderful signs of Spring right now and that gives me hope that we will one day be able to look back on the start of 2020 and remind ourselves of how lucky we are and how much we take for granted.





Flo loves being outside, especially if she has company. It was so warm last week that she enjoyed laying on the paving stones, soaking up the heat and basking in the sunshine. It's a bit chillier so far this week, but she is still coming outside with me for her daily constitutional.





I've been trying, without any luck so far, to book a supermarket delivery! There are no slots available for weeks ahead. I'm fortunate to have friends who are happy to go shopping for me, but I don't like asking for help. Also, now that there are restrictions on how much you can buy of an individual item, it means that they may have to do a separate shop for me which involves another supermarket trip, more queuing up etc etc. I stayed up until midnight last night so I could go online when the next available slots at Tesco were released. I managed to get a time slot but then got stuck in an online queue, waiting to start shopping. After 20 minutes of being in the queue, I still hadn't started the shop and I fell asleep. Of course, by the morning, my slot had timed out and was no longer available!! So I will try again tonight. I want to try to keep a tiny bit of independence if I can. It's very frustrating though and it must be awful for the elderly who don't use technology but are meant to be shielding. Hopefully the supermarkets will get something sorted out to make it a bit easier for those of us who can't get out to shop.

I've been working on a shawl using the new Stylecraft Naturals cotton and bamboo yarn. It's all done but needs a bit of blocking and some artistic photos and a model! So it might be a while before that happens! Self-isolation and all that! I added some recycled glass beads just before the cast off row and am really pleased with that. The yarn was lovely to knit with and I'm already planning another project.





I'm currently using leftovers from my rainbow stripy socks to knit a pair of ripple stitch trainer socks as a birthday present for my friend. I am playing a game of yarn chicken but hopefully I will come out victorious! I thought that ripply rainbow feet would be happy feet, and we all need to have happy things in our lives right now, don't we? I first came up with the pattern a year ago and have been rather lazy about writing it up. But now that I've reminded myself of the pattern and deciphered my scribbles, I will get it written up and published in the next couple of weeks. Now I've told you, I've got to do it, right?! Please nag me if it doesn't appear. Stay safe everyone! xxx







5 comments:

Margaret said...

Thinking of you. Hope you manage to sort your shopping. Take care. My cat enjoyed last week too.

Jennyff said...

Strangely because I am over 70 I got at the end of last week an offer from Waitrose to shop on line. I ordered Friday and the items were delivered, by a lovely helpful driver, this morning. I waved and shouted my thanks from a distance. This priority service should also be available for vulnerable people like you, I will try to give Waitrose some feedback. Keep on being as strong as you are and keep asking for help when needed, you'd be happy to give help be happy to receive it.

Cindy said...

Thank you for the pictures of spring! I wish I could do your shopping for you! Hopefully, it will become easier somehow. So many things have changed for the world- it is a sad and scary time, Your courageous attitude is a model for us all. Take care and stay safe!

VeggieMummy said...

We're currently self-isolating for 2 weeks and that seems like a long time at the moment. 12 is unthinkable. At least you have darling Flo to keep you company. Fingers crossed that you get your time slot but I have a feeling that your friends don't mind doing your shopping at all. Your shawl looks lovely - the beads really make it and I think we all need some rainbow socks to cheer us up at the moment. Stay well. xx

Jane Winter said...

I am so pleased to hear from you Helen. As others have said, I cannot imagine 12 weeks of complete isolation. I am glad that you are at least able to enjoy your garden and crafting - but nothing beats a good old natter with friends.
Take care
Jane