Wednesday 5 August 2020

Still shielding ...


I know that officially the government's shielding programme has been paused, but I'm having to continue to shield because last Friday, this happened...


I had a phone call from the hospital on Thursday asking me if I could come in the following day for the first in a 12 week cycle of chemotherapy. So of course, it's going to suppress my immune system even more. I'm relieved that the treatment has finally started, as it's been in the pipeline for a while now, but of course COVID has given the doctors different priorities for the last few months. I didn't feel too bad over the weekend, thanks to anti-nausea meds that I was give, along with a load more pills to take to counteract the side effects of the chemo drug!! So roll on 12 weeks! Flo is making sure that I have lots of rest and I'm enjoying knitting and listening to lots of audiobooks.

The week before, I finished knitting the Stillness shawl designed by Curious Handmade. It was a mystery KAL and I joined in with a lovely group of ladies on Instagram. Once blocked, the shawl was massive. It's a semi-circular shawl; not a shape I would usually knit, but as it was a mystery KAL, I didn't know what it was going to be like! I think I will wear it back to front draped around my neck. The yarn is some that I bought from Loop in London when I was there taking a shawl design class with Melanie Berg. It's Lichen and Lace and is gorgeous. Flo was naturally investigating it as a possibility for a new blanket!


I'm also playing around with ideas for a sweater using the Good Striations stitch pattern. It's at an early stage but I'm pleased with how it looks so far. I'm using Stylecraft Batik yarn as I like both the softness of the yarn and its stonewashed colours. I'm not sure that it will ever become a pattern for anyone but me as I've never written and graded a garment pattern for multiple sizes. I'll just have to wait and see once it's done. I'll keep you posted. Stay safe everyone. xxx









6 comments:

Rumpers Ramblings said...

You bear up very well, I can't imagine having to shield for such a long time. Thank goodness you have Flo! Your shawl is absolutely beautiful and I can just imagine how soft that lovely yarn is. Loop is such a wonderful shop, eh. You have now given me something to look forward to after CV. A knitting workshop at Loop is definitely in my sights! Best wishes with your treatment xx

cristina said...

Oh, take care of you!

VeggieMummy said...

Good luck with the chemo. It's good that your treatment has started, even though it means shielding for longer - I do feel for you. At least you've had time to do lots of knitting - that shawl is gorgeous. You (and Flo!) will be very cosy this winter. Take care. xx

Jennyff said...

Sounds like a mixed blessing, good to crack on with the treatment, not so good more shielding. We seem to continue to follow the UK lock down rules here in Italy though things have eased, shop once a week then stay at home. Meanwhile our UK town is back under lockdown anyway. I am glad you keep yourself so occupied and have Flo to check your lovely work, keep safe and keep being so positive, wishing you well, xx

weavinfool said...

Virtual hugs coming your way. Isolation is much better with knitting.

Jane Winter said...

Hi Helen I hope that everything goes well with the treatment; it must be very daunting. I am glad that you are, as usual, making the most of things with Flo.
Take care
Jane xx