Thursday 13 January 2022

A colourful start to the year

It's been quite grey and dull in my part of the world so far this year, but I've managed to brighten things up by having a few colourful projects on the go. I do love colour and would always choose brighter yarn over more muted shades. First up I have my Advent socks using The Yarn Badger's stripy Advent skein. Although I didn't manage to keep up with knitting a stripe a day in the countdown to Christmas, I did manage to finish knitting these by the end of 2021, with just the ends to weave in on January 1st. I love Liz's stripy yarn - it always brings such joy to my knitting. These socks were knit cuff down with an afterthought heel added once I'd knitted the toes.




I'm sure it won't come as a surprise that I've got another pair of stripy socks on the go! This is another Advent skein that didn't get cast on in December from a new-to-me dyer, The Dotty Wool Co. I'm knitting a stripe a day throughout January so have called these my New Year socks. So far, I've managed to keep up to date with the knitting - here's how they looked after the first week. I'll share another progress photo next time.




I have another pair of finished socks too! These are the Homebody socks from Curious Handmade, knitted in a beautifully squishy DK yarn from Lay Family Yarn in the Pyjama Days colourway. They have been posted to their recipient and hope they bring comfort and cosiness.






I have received a couple of squishy parcels this year already but both have been gifts so fear not, I haven't already broken my resolution to knit from stash! The first skein I won in an Instagram giveaway. It's from another new-to-me dyer called Bobble & Badger in the colourway 'Spooktacular'. It's lovely and plump and destined to be socks I think!




I also received this beautiful trio of yarns from Stripey Cat Yarns. My good knitting pal Snoopydog gifted me these for my birthday . They are the first three instalments of Sarah's stripy sock club. Sarah is another of my favourite dyers of stripy yarn - just look at those gorgeous colours! I have a few other skeins of her yarn so will knit those up rather than buy myself the next quarter's yarns. I just hope I will be able to resist the temptation to add to my stripy stash when pre-orders are announced!!!




I've got a gorgeously colourful crochet project on the hook too. Lucy from Attic24 always has a CAL in January and although I have lots of her blankets already, I wanted to join in with the Harbour Blanket CAL. The colours of the yarns Lucy has put together are so happy and full of joy, it's the perfect antidote to grey January days. Of course Flo has already staked her claim on it! Just as well I'm happy to share! You can read more about the CAL here on Lucy's blog.




I'm also joining in with Winwick Mum's Winter Haven KAL and am knitting Christine's new sock pattern - Easy Mosaic socks. The KAL is all about getting cosy and recharging the batteries after Christmas festivities and the events of 2021. I'm using one of Winwick Mum's yarns - Summer Sunset along with another of West Yorkshire Spinners yarns, Liquorice. I am loving how the two yarns are interplaying. The pattern is much more straightforward than it looks as the colourwork effect is achieved by using slipped stitches, so there is only ever one yarn being knitted in each round. It's not too late to join in, so if you're interested, head over to Winwick Mum's website to find out more details. Let me know what projects you've started in 2022. xxx





 

2 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Ooh, I love a stripy yarn! Your socks are looking fabulous and that mosaic pattern is intriguing. I bet Flo is a little impatient for her new blankie! :O) xx

Jane Winter said...

Gosh, you have been busy. I love your advent socks in particular. Jane x