Wednesday 27 April 2022

Teddies for Ukraine

Someone who I follow on Instagram put out a request last week for volunteers to make a few teddies for her sister who is helping to coordinate homing Ukrainian refugees in her local area. She wanted to make the children feel welcome by gifting each of them a Ukrainian teddy bear. As soon as I read her post, I knew that I wanted to help. I can't even begin to imagine the trauma that these poor families have been through. The pattern I used is based on the Trauma Teddy pattern from Children 1st. There is a crochet version as well as a knitted bear pattern. However, I modified the pattern quite considerably so that I could knit it entirely in the round. I don't especially like knitting toys and sewing them together as it usually involves a lot of fiddle-faddle, and I am usually not that happy with the finished toy. I knitted two little bears using oddments of Stylecraft Special DK - Mocha for the bear, Saffron for the jumper, Aster for the trousers and Pistachio and Wisteria for the scarves. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out and they are already on their way to meet their new owners and be loved and hugged. xxx







 

2 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

That's such a lovely idea and your 'welcome teddies' are brilliant. They look super-cute nestling in the forget-me-nots. xx

DebbyMc said...

Wonderful! I'd be interested in how you did them in the round.