Wednesday 11 May 2022

Sockathon

I've been beavering away on sock knitting since my 3rd cycle of IVIg as I hadn't knitted enough socks for all of the nurses to have a pair. I'm pretty pleased with all of these. The yarn is all West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4ply sock yarn. The pairs at either end use colourways from the Zandra Rhodes collection while the three in the middle are all Yarndale colourways. If I knit a contrast cuff, heel and toe I can knit two pairs from one ball of yarn. These are all medium size (I cast on 60 stitches for a medium sock on 2.5mm needles). When I took them in with me last week when I had round 4 of the infusions, they were very well received!  




In fact, I had a request from one of the Rheumatology Unit nurses for a pair as she missed out both times when I took them in. Her request was 'as bright as possible' so I was happy to rise to the challenge! This was the pair that I knitted for her and she was very happy!




I also knitted a couple of small sized socks as there are a couple of nurses who have size 2-4 feet. I was able to use leftovers from my Inverse Striations socks and the Easy Mosaic socks by Winwick Mum for these. The green cowl was knitted in some leftover mink and cashmere yarn - a gift for the Sister of the Unit who really feels the cold. The yarn is absolutely gorgeous - so light and warm. I've knitted myself a cowl and a cardigan in it before so I know it's going to keep her lovely and cosy when she's out walking her dog.




This is what my week looked like; I had two days of knitting thanks to a helpful cannula position. I listened to audiobooks or read to pass the time on the other days. I'm currently working my way through the Dr  Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths, so enjoyed the company of Ruth, Nelson and Cathbad! The good news is that the treatment does seem to be working.




I have a few more pairs of socks still to knit and then I think that I'm going to do a bit of selfish knitting and make something for myself. I have a few sweater quantities of yarn stashed away and I think it's about time that they saw the light of day!  I'm thinking top down as I HATE sewing things together. I've knitted 'Love Note' before but there are so many lovely designs out there. Have you got any recommendations for patterns? xxx

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

The socks are lovely. The new Melanie Berg pattern Peach Fuzz looks like a fun sweater knit because you can pick any colors you want and I bought yarn to make it. I also have yarn to make Little Lulu by Casapinka. There are also the Boxy Sweaters by Joji.

Of course it all depends on what you have that you want to use.

VeggieMummy said...

I'm so glad that the treatment is working. I bet the nurses will be sorry to see the back of you if you keep knitting them such glorious socks.
I'm currently listening to the Ruth Galloway books on Audible as I'm gardening. Cathbad is my favourite character! Sadly, I started to find Ruth a little annoying in the later books and Elly Griffiths' political views become more obvious, which isn't what I want from my books. I read to escape all that! :O)
I agree with Suzanne about the Boxy Sweater - a lovely relaxing knit, as is Joji's 'The Easy One' which I am making myself at the moment. Happy knitting. xx

Jennyff said...

Amazing sock production, they are beautiful and such generous gifts. You do need to knit something for yourself, a celebration sweater. I am a big fan of cables but maybe something lighter for the warmer weather would be nice. Enjoy deciding snd keep on keeping well. x

Winwick Mum said...

So many socks! I bet you are the unit's favourite visitor with your fabulous woolly gifts :) xx

DebbyMc said...

Beautiful, fun socks! I just ordered the first of the books. I love a good series!