Saturday 23 July 2022

Long time, no see!

I'm sorry that it's been a while since my last blog post. I had my fifth Covid vaccine and despite my new treatment, it caused my myositis to flare up again. I've had very little energy, muscle aches and pains and have been sleeping most afternoons. I had my final week of infusions in my six month trial of IVIg and had my daily battle with the cannula. I've also seen my local rheumatology consultant as well as my consultant down at King's College hospital; despite my recent flare, they are generally very happy with how the infusions have helped to start bring my disease under control and have applied for funding for more infusions. This has been approved by the first panel, with the proviso that an additional immunosuppressant, Abatacept, is also introduced to try to enable my infusions of IVIg to be spaced further apart. I will have to give myself a weekly injection of Abatacept and have already had pre-treatment blood tests and chest X-ray done. I hope that the treatment will be approved by the second panel in time to have my next round of infusions in a couple of weeks. Please cross your fingers and toes for me! 




I haven't had much enthusiasm for knitting, but when I have, it's been socks that I've picked up. I have four single socks each looking for their partner, so that will be my goal for the rest of the month. They are all plain vanilla socks so I don't have to think too hard!




I did knit another pair of socks for my rheumatology team; it seems that everyone wants socks! I love knitting them and they are so much appreciated. It's something I can do to say thank you. In all my encounters with NHS staff (and there have been a LOT), I have always been treated with such kindness and compassion. We are incredibly lucky to have the NHS and I really hope that much more funding is given as well as pay rises that reflect all that they do.




I have also started spinning a little. You might remember from a previous post that I was looking forward to the start of the Tour de Fleece. I haven't managed to spin every day but I will share what I have done so far in another blog post. I shall definitely be carrying on with the spinning once the Tour is over - I had forgotten quite how relaxing it is! It's a short and sweet post today. I'll leave you with a photo of Flo who was delighted to have a new box to sit in today. She finds them irresistible! xxx



3 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Fingers crossed that the funding is approved for more infusions. It's no wonder that the staff like your socks; they all look so colourful and cosy. I'm currently knitting a vanilla pair for L, using the Van Gogh yarn that I saw on your blog. Flo looks adorable. Hamish too is very partial to a cardboard box. It doesn't stay intact for long though as he tries to extend it by chewing through! xx

Jane Winter said...

I'm so pleased to hear from you again and guessed that you were probably a bit under par. I will certainly cross everything that you get approval for your treatment.
I have just realised who VeggieMummy is! I follow the link on your blog and always read her posts. However, I hadn't matched her with the person who frequently comments on your blog.
Take care and good luck.
Jane x

cristina said...

My prayers for you are on their way now!
Flo is a darling, I love her!