Wednesday 31 October 2012

A Scottish Adventure - Day 5

I can't  believe that it's only Wednesday - it feels like we have been here much longer. After calling in at the Skye Quilt Studio, where I bought some fat quarters to sew some project bags, we headed up to the north of the island again. We stopped off for lunch at the Stein Inn, the oldest pub on Skye. I had a Scottish ploughman's, which was really tasty .....


Skye day 5 001


and Mr JK had haggis. Ugh! Not my kind of meal at all!!


Skye day 5 002


We spent the rest of the day driving around the Trotternish peninsula, stopping periodically to take in the views. The visibility was great and you could see the outer Hebrides in the distance really clearly. 


Skye day 5 008


Driving around the coast we came across lots of little piles of stones and rocks. There were easily one hundred there, I have no idea why! Please enlighten me if you know!


Skye day 5 015


Skye day 5 017


The ferry had just left Uig as we approached. It sails to Harris and North Uist in the Outer Hebrides. I can't imagine what it must be like to live somewhere so remote. Mr JK and I talked about what we would miss. Although neither of us are great shoppers, we would miss being so far away from things like the theatre. I think these islands are wonderful places to visit for a week or so, but not to live permanently. 


Skye day 5 006


Tomorrow we are going to head down to the south of the island, should be good! xxx

7 comments:

Michele in Maine said...

Ploughman's lunch and quilt shop - yes! Haggis - no thank you.

Love all the coastal shots!

Lynne said...

Your photos are beautiful. I think the piles of stones are cairns. In ancient times they were used as landmarks, and to mark graves etc. Now-a-days people would make the small cairns that you've seen just to say "I was here". They'd be common in beauty spots like hill walks etc. Cairn is common word within placenames here in Northern Ireland, so I'm guessing this is a celtic thing!

Helsie said...

11sharddr140 boompetFirstly I have to say I like haggis... but where were the tatties and neeps to go with it?
Secondly,on a visit to Canada we came across the piles of stones, sometimes making a man-like shape called an Inukshuk which became the symbol of the last winter Olympics. A good spirit to watch over travelers and a way of saying "I was here".
And lastly Skye is looking lovely.
Cheers

snoopydogknits said...

looks like you're having a lovely time. Your photos are beautiful! XX

Carrie said...

Looks like you're getting good weather for your trip! Have you tried the haggis? It's delicious!
Carrie xx

Kat Jorgensen said...

Not a fan of haggis - but everything else was lovely. What a great holiday you've had!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... never had haggis.
gorgeous gorgeous photos - so glad you are enjoying your holiday!!
-melissa