Sunday 29 June 2014

To Woolfest and beyond!!


Just popping in to share some photos from my weekend. Mr JK and I went up to the Lake District for a couple of days. Amazingly, our trip coincided with Woolfest, so while Mr JK was climbing Scafell Pike, the highest peak in England, I was surrounded by yarny loveliness over at Cockermouth!
 
I set myself a budget, and managed to stick to it. Most of my purchases were for gifts, I only bought one skein of yarn and one braid of fibre for myself, plus a couple of buttons for my Vodka Lemonade cardigan. It was my first visit to Woolfest and it is definitely a fabulous show to visit if you are at all interested in yarn. Not only was there an amazing selection of vendors, but also there were so many different rare breeds of sheep on show as well as extremely knowledgeable people to talk about them.

I have loads of photos, so I shall just let them speak for themselves!


Woolfest 2014


I spent ages looking at the different breeds of sheep that were there. They were just gorgeous. Woolfest really does seem to champion British rare breeds.
 
 
Woolfest 2014 sheep


Here's my haul of goodies - these are all gifts for birthdays and swaps!


Woolfest goodies 001
 
 
Here's my personal treats - I couldn't resist the rainbow braid of fibre from Easyknits, and I just loved the shades of blue and sparkles in the skein of Debbonaire yarn.

 
Woolfest goodies 002
 
 
So while I was surrounded by yarn, Mr JK was climbing up Scafell Pike. The weather was pretty good and gave him some great views, as you can see from the photos below.
 
 
Lake District June 2014 004

Lake District June 2014 009

Lake District June 2014 010

Lake District June 2014 017

Lake District June 2014 018
 
Lake District June 2014 024


Mr JK took this little video of the view at the top - he said it was incredible to be able to see Morecambe Bay to the west, across the Moray Firth to Scotland to the north, across Yorkshire to the east as well as many of the surrounding lakes.
 
 


The next day, we visited some old favourites in the Lakes. First stop was Beatrix Potter's cottage at Sawrey. I think I spotted a relative of Peter Rabbit munching away in the garden! She was an incredible woman - not only was she an author and artist, but she was also a great countrywoman. She saved the Herdwick sheep from extinction and left all her property and land to the National Trust in her will. She even specified the inventory for her house and how everything needed to be laid out. It's almost as if she has just popped out into the garden and will be in any minute to make a cup of tea! Unfortunately, photos weren't allowed inside the house.

 
Lake District June 2014 040

Lake District June 2014 036

Lake District June 2014 048

Lake District June 2014 037

Lake District June 2014 034

Lake District June 2014 031

Lake District June 2014 042


We then stretched our legs for a walk around Tarn Hows. Although the weather was a little bit dull, it was still a very pleasant walk.
 
 
Lake District June 2014 059

Lake District June 2014 055

Lake District June 2014 050

Lake District June 2014 051


I managed to finish some secret knitting over the weekend. I need to sort out some simple knitting for the coming week as I am away on a residential trip with the kids. I think some plain vanilla socks are the order of the day!  I'll see you next weekend! xxx

8 comments:

snoopydogknits said...

Looks like you had a great time! Loved the views as much as the yarn ;-) . Have a good week away with the kids! X

judi said...

Helen, it looks like Woolfest was fabulous. I am especially curious about the blue denim colored yarn. I would love to visit the Potter Cottage. have a fun trip with your students.

Judy said...

Great to see all your wonderful photos, Helen!

I recently finished reading Susan Branch's book, A Fine Romance. Her visits to the home of Beatrix Potter were special to read about. (Then, Jerry and I watched the movie, Miss Potter, and found it enchanting.)

Between the yarns, cakes, scenery, wooly creatures, etc., it looked as if your holiday was perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Lynne said...

What lovely photos (as always!). It must have been very hard to resist everything at Woolfest, so much temptation!

Iris said...

Lovely pictures and I so wish I could have gone to Woolfest this year. The whole family was going to go for a long weekend, but missed it yet again. :(

Really intrigued by that tree in the last few pictures - where/what is it?!

melissa said...

well i am officially jealous of woolfest!!
such gorgeous photos!
thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Who made those cute tea cozies? I'd love to order a couple! Thanks!

Sandra said...

Lovely photographs. Enjoyed Woolfest last year. Brings it all back in glorious colour.