Sunday 14 April 2019

Crochet Learn it. Love it. - a review




I was delighted to receive a copy of a couple of Tracey Todhunter's books recently. The book I'm reviewing today is called Crochet Learn it. Love it. with the description 'Techniques and projects to build a lifelong passion, for beginners up'. Although I have been crocheting almost as many years as I have been knitting, my crochet skills haven't really progressed much beyond granny squares and in recent months, some of Lucy Attic24's blankets. I first came across Tracey last year when she offered to donate a couple of her books as prizes in my Great Yarn Giveaway. (I can't believe that was a whole year ago!) Tracey, who blogs over at GrannyCoolCrochet, is a well-known, popular crochet designer with more than 20 years of experience teaching crochet, so I felt I would be in very safe hands. 




The book is divided into five very comprehensive chapters: Essential Skills, Working in the Round, Stitch Patterns, Finishing Touches and Taking Your Skills Furthers. Within each chapter, there are some really lovely projects so you can have a go at practising your newly acquired skills, as well as a Be Inspired page with links to other patterns. I loved this feature as it showed you what you could achieve with your new skills. 




Some of the projects you can make from this book...






Each chapter is really clearly set out, packed with helpful photos, charts, tips and crochet clinics. I almost felt as if Tracey was sat there beside me, encouraging me as I worked my way through the book. Despite my years of crocheting, I learnt a lot in the very first chapter about shaping crochet, tension and reading crochet charts which in all honesty I have found pretty terrifying in the past! And as I progressed through the book, I had a go at various stitches and learnt a huge amount. Here are just a very few of them...


*** A Granny hexagon ***



*** Crocheting a circle in a square ***



*** Spiked Stitches ***



*** Bobbles ***



*** Filet crochet ***



*** Colourwork ***



*** Beaded Crochet ***



In the final chapter, Taking Your Skills Further, Tracey introduces you to Tunisian crochet, Hairpin crochet and Broomstick crochet, so it really is an excellent book, not only for complete beginners, but also for crocheters who want to improve their skills. I know that it's going to be a very useful addition to my bookshelf. 

Crochet. Learn it. Love it. by Tracey Todhunter is published by Search Press and is available now. 

ISBN: 978-1-78221-727-5

RRP: £12.99


Search Press have very generously offered to give a copy of this book to one lucky person. I'm really sorry but due to publishing restrictions, it's only available to people in the UK. If you'd like to be in with a chance of winning this brilliant crochet book, please leave me a comment and also a way to contact you if you're the winner (Ravelry/Instagram name or email address.) The giveaway will run until midnight on April 22nd (Easter Monday) and then a winner will be randomly selected. If I don't hear back from the winner within a week, I will pick another one! Good luck to all you UK crocheters and may the power of the hook be with you! xxx

30 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

Looks really good.Any instructions for left handers?

Dawn said...

I would love this, I still have my Learn To Crochet book from the 1970s, and my skills really haven't progressed muchmuch s I was 7 and wanted to teach myself!

Liz Phillips said...

Although knitting patterns don’t frighten me, I’ve never progressed any further than granny squares when it comes to crotchet!

Susanne said...

This book sounds as though it would be great as I am trying to learn to crochet and need all the help I can get. Looks & sounds very helpful and interesting.

Lynne said...

Ooo, this book looks fab! I've never really progressed past granny squares, and have never got the hang of crocheting back and forth. Thanks for the chance of winning! Insta - @ozzyblackbeard

Jill said...

Looks lovely. Here's hoping!!!!

Jill said...

Looks lovely. Here's hoping!!! jsttpm@talktalk.net.

Claire said...

I’ve got another if Tracey’s book and I’d love to add this to my collection! Always learning!

Prettyprettypennys@gmail.com

VeggieMummy said...

Looks like a really useful book with lots of new skills to learn. I'm VeggieMummy on Ravelry too. xx

Craftycrocgetrachel said...

I would love to win so can learn new things
Instagram Craftycrochetrachel

Trish Rapley Giles said...

This book sounds like a great resource. I'm trishrapleygiles on Ravelry.

Vicki said...

I've only recently learnt to crochet and this looks just the book to learn the next steps.

PixieFoxtrot said...

Ooh, I would love to win this book! Thank you for offering it to one of us. Like you, I have not done as much crochet as knitting, but when I do, I find it very enjoyable, and always wish I knew more about how to do things. Fingers crossed.... I'm PixieFoxtrot on Ravelry.

Debbie H said...

I would love to win this. I'm debbieh1971x on insta. Thanks ��

Clicky Needles said...

Hey there. The book looks great, it's always good to do something other than a basic granny! Clicky Needles. x

Jennyff said...

I have everything I need to teach myself to crochet, I just never get round to doing so. Maybe I need to add that to my list of things to do before I’m 80, which gives me a few more years to put off learning.

Jacquisj said...

Looks a great book to further our crochet skills and as mine are very basic maybe I should treat myself anyway! Hope you are well. Happy Easter

PixieMum said...

This looks so good, especially interested in trying to get right tension, still not sure 5mm hook is right for Stylecraft DK. I’m Knellergal on Ravelry.

Knit a bit said...

I run a school knit and Crochet group. This would be a fantastic addition for the children. faye4862

Lynne said...

Happy Easter, Helen

Emma Joyner said...

I’d love to get this book, the Fox �� looks so cute!! Handy to refer back to!
Emma.joyner75@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Happy Easter, what a lovely book with lots of inspiration! :)

Lilacden said...

Looks like a really good book with lots of useful tips and ideas.

I'm lilacden on Instagram

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Hello! I would love to participate too and learn new crochet tricks!! Thank you! :)

Helen said...

I have just learnt to crochet and have mastered Lucy's granny stripe. I now need to push my boundaries. This book looks perfect.

Kathryn said...

Hi this looks a fab book to help me progress and have more confidence in my crochet! Jones-kathryn@sky.com
Thanks Kathryn :)

Artisans said...

I have been looking for a good book covering basic stitches but then moving on. Your review of this book perfectly describes what I am looking for. Thanks for the comprehensive review. artisans-uk on Ravelry & artisans-jm on IG. x

Heather said...

This looks really useful. I've done a couple of the Attic24 blanket patterns but when I tried to move on to other patterns they didn't come out so well and I got cross and left them alone. Thank you!
I'm knittingowltoo on ravelry.

Peter said...

I’d love to win this book to help me improve my crochet skills