Friday 10 May 2019

Peering out through the fog


Do you ever get times when even the most straightforward things seem nigh on impossible? It's a bit like that for me at the moment. I feel like I'm stuck in the fog and can't quite find my way out. I don't seem to be able to settle to do anything much. I even had to give up on a sock when after 4 attempts at the cuff, I couldn't manage the ribbing! I'd even done several rounds without noticing that I'd cast on an odd number of stitches! Seriously! I think it's caused by the medication I'm on - steroids can cause 'brain fog' apparently. So I'm riding the storm with a very mindless, longstanding WIP. It's a poncho that I started knitting way, way back using yarn that I'd started knitting a jumper for Mr JK in. I frogged that and found a lovely Rowan pattern, Caliban, using the Rowan Brushed Fleece yarn. It is incredibly soft and light and when I'm wearing it, it really will be like having a hug from Mr JK. I have no idea why it's been languishing so long in the WIP mountain, but as the pattern is already set up, it's reasonably easy to keep it going. I am being very strict counting rows and keeping a tally as I decrease the stitches. I'm about three quarters done so hopefully I will be able to wear it very soon. Flo approves of it wholeheartedly, and thinks it has plenty of snuggle potential! 




Before brain fog set in, I managed to get some secret knitting finished and posted (more about this in a couple of months!) and I also knit one of my hospital consultants a pair of socks. The pattern is my own - Kali Kardia - and I used my shade of the Head over Heels All Stars yarn - Woldgate.






I haven't been able to get to see the bluebells at Blickling this year as it's just too far for me to walk at the moment but luckily I've got some in the garden to enjoy, along with forget-me-nots. I love these pretty spring flowers, it's such a feel-good moment when little splashes of blue and purple start appearing in the garden.





I have no business whatsoever to be buying yarn as I have quite enough to last me for many years to come! But I decided that I needed a little cheering up and so I paid an online visit to Pixie Yarns. I love Sophie's dyeing. I chose two skeins so they could keep each other company on their journey to Norfolk! Aren't they just beautiful? And they both have sparkles! At the moment, they are still at the 'admire and squish' stage.







I have a new (not quite daily) indulgence - hot chocolate with squirty cream and marshmallows! It's a little sweet treat that is soooooooooo good! I'm not usually a fan of cream but it just kind of melts into the hot chocolate along with the marshmallows - mmmmmmmmm! What's your favourite indulgence? xxx





4 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Poor you - I hope the brain fog lifts very soon. I agree with Flo: that yarn looks very snuggly indeed. I bet your consultant was thrilled with his socks; such a lovely gift. That hot chocolate looks delish. I'm into turmeric lattes at the moment. It's a packet from the supermarket that you add to milk/milk alternative. I wasn't keen initially but it's very calming and has really grown on me. Feel better soon. xx

Lynne said...

Hope you feel better soon. I won't take steroids. You never know the damage they do in he long run. I should be on them for my arthritis,but I'd rather deal with the pain in other ways. Love the cat, the socks are so pretty. The new yarn you bought is just so beautiful. It looks like sock yarn. Take care of yourself and have a good relaxing trip.

Jennyff said...

So sorry to hear you are not yourself, hang on in there summer is on its way. Meantime you are right to indulge, treats, which include yarn and much Flo time, are essential. When I seriously hurt my back and was in bed for two weeks I ate a lot of pain au raisin with frothy coffee, and still lost half a stone. Get well soon.

Jane Winter said...

Hi Helen

I hope that you are feeling better soon. I do admire how you always manage to find something cheerful to say no matter how bad you are feeling. You also continue to create beautiful things that inspire us all.

Best wishes
Jane