Sunday 26 April 2020

On Safari


No, your eyes aren't deceiving you! Today I'm taking you on an animal safari! You'll need a bit of imagination, but bear with and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Let me explain before you think that I've gone completely and utterly bonkers so soon into lockdown! 

Last month, it was little Dorothy's first birthday and her mummy and daddy had an open house so people could call in for a cuppa and some cake to celebrate Dottie's special day. I wanted to give her something that hopefully she would be able to enjoy looking at and playing with and while I was searching online for some  inspiration, I came across a fabric panel from Moda that made a cloth book. Dottie's parents are very appreciative of handmade things so I thought that they would probably like it too. I ordered the panel, along with a couple more for other gifts, and when it arrived, I spent an evening cutting out all the different pieces and pinning them together with their corresponding letter labels. There were printed instructions on the panel and once I got going, it was pretty straightforward to put it all together. See what you think...















Isn't it lovely? The pocket on the back with the little finger puppets inside is so sweet too. I've bought the panel to sew four safari animals as well so they're hopefully going to get stitched this week. I've got some crinkly paper to sew inside the elephant's ears, a shaker and a couple of squeakers too. So each toy should make some kind of noise. It's just a shame that I won't be able to give them to Dottie in person, but I'm sure her mum will send me a video of her playing with them. Have you done any sewing lately? I've got some free motion projects to share with you, but those will have to wait for another day! Keep safe and well. xxx

7 comments:

DebbyMc said...

Oh!! I love this, Helen. I have a little grandson, 6 mo. old, who would love something like this. And I have my sewing machine set up again now, since I've been making face masks. I think I'll go on an internet quest tomorrow to see if I can find something similar! Hope you are doing as well as the current situation in the world allows. This confinement is having good effect on a lot of UFOs and WIPs in my house!

DebbyMc said...

I found the book panel and the safari animal panel straightaway! I also found a cute bee themed fabric book panel, which is great, given that I'm Quiltnbee in my quilting life, so there are many references to bees where I'm concerned. It's so nice to have fun new projects to look forward to. Thank you for the inspiration! I'm sure my grandbaby will love everything, and I think the projects will be quite fun to make.😊

harbottphillil said...

That is a beautiful gift and the best bit..it is made with love
Keep safe
Sally

VeggieMummy said...

Dottie will adore this. I think I still have some fabric books stashed away somewhere from when my girls were babies. They're far too precious to get rid of. Handmade presents are the best. Stay safe. xx

Robyn said...

What a lovely gift. Sadly, I have no small ones in my immediate family. Would love a grandchild or two............ The puppets are so cute too.

Jennyff said...

That is so beautiful, I hope it will become a family heirloom and generations will know you made it during your isolation. I on the other hand am producing nothing but the world's most ugly knitted jumper that is already far too big. I don't know why I keep on with it but I do. You put me to shame.

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness, this book is brilliant! What a lovely gift!