Wednesday 26 August 2020

A floofy hat!

 I knit a floofy hat and on a scale of 1 - 10 in floofiness (I might have just invented a word!), this hat is a definite 100! A couple of weeks ago, I bought a hat kit set from Kelly over at Lay Family Yarn. It included a skein of fingering weight yarn, a skein of silk mohair and the most perfectly floofy pink pompom. Also, as I was one of the first customers to buy the kit, I was lucky enough to get a bag of little yarny treasures from Kelly. The hat is the Magpie hat, and it's a free pattern on Ravelry. You can find it here (be warned, this will take you directly to Ravelry.) The pattern is very versatile in that you can knit either a ribbed or a folded brim, and adjust the length of the hat to suit you. It's called the Magpie hat because knitters, rather like magpies, are known for hoarding their favourite, extra special yarn leftovers, and this hat is the perfect showcase for them, knit into the middle band of the hat.

Here's a look at my kit...




I cast on pretty much as soon as I got the kit, but for some reason, it took me a while to knit the folded brim - the round where you knit your cast on round with the live stitches to create the folded part. To be honest, I did find that a bit fiddly as my eyes kept playing tricks on me lining up the stitches! But once that was done, there was no stopping me and I whizzed up the body of the hat at lightning speed! You may even have seen smoke coming from my needles. The pompom on the top is the cherry on the top of an already delicious cake. I've had to keep it hidden from Flo, who has shown definite interest in it becoming her latest trophy! And since I've not yet located a ball of yarn that she pilfered from the sofa, I wasn't prepared to take any risks! Kelly now stocks the pompoms in her kits, but you can find them in The Crafty Bird's Etsy shop. I may have purchased a few more as I want to knit this hat as gifts for Christmas. (Yes, I mentioned the 'C' word in August, but I think I may have got away with it!) As you can see from the photos, Flo was keeping a beady eye on the pompom. Luckily, it's secured with a popper fastening, but I will keep it away from her paws anyway. I like the slouchy style of it, and now that my hair is longer (no hair cut since February), I think that I suit hats better. What do you think? xxx










3 comments:

Rumpers Ramblings said...

Cute! It really suits you x

pammacca73@gmail.com said...

Floofy is definitely the right word.
The hat looks gorgeous and you most certainly do suit it (and the longer hair).
Poor Flo! My Burmese Coco loved pompoms. I used to buy a bag of little ones from the craft store. We would find them everywhere. The game was to flick them across the room and she would bring them back in her mouth for you to do it over and over and over ......
The pompoms with glitter threads were fun, we'd have to pull bits out of her mouth haha Of course when she had had enough, she would shred them!

VeggieMummy said...

The hat looks lovely and really suits you. Maybe Flo needs her own special pompom?! xx