Monday 26 October 2020

Amigurumi Christmas - a review

 



I received a copy of Amigurumi Christmas from Search Press and I absolutely LOVE IT! I know that it seems strange to be talking about Christmas when we've not had Halloween or Bonfire Night yet, but it's only 8 weeks until Christmas! So definitely the right time to be getting gifts and decorations made so you're not panicking at the last minute! I've been there and done that! In fact, one year,  I gave Mr JK one sock and a half finished WIP which I then went on to finish knitting over the Christmas holidays! 

The author, Sarah-Jane Hicks, was new to me, but I have started following her on Instagram where she is @flo_and_dot, and she has a lovely, colourful feed. (And I discovered that she lives in Norfolk too!)

The book is packed full of super-cute projects - there are 20 of them in total. If this kind of crochet is new to you, you might be interested to know that 'amigurumi' is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed yarn creatures. As well as all the projects, Sarah-Jane has given lots of information and tips on the different techniques you will need to complete the projects - from inserting eyes to sewing together the individual pieces to finish your work off. If I could add one thing to improve the book (and I am nit-picking here) I would like there to be some kind of indication on each pattern about the level of difficulty. You know what I mean - easy, medium, advanced. But that's just because this type of crochet is totally new to me and if you've already crocheted amigurumi designs before, it won't bother you in the slightest! There are lots of photographs and the instructions are very clearly written, step by step.




It's really hard to pick a favourite project because I can honestly say that there is nothing in the book that I don't like. I just need a magic wand to be able to crochet them all! But here are my absolute favourites...








I'm going to rummage through my yarn to see what different shade of green I have because I need some sprouts in my life! Do you see what I mean about the cuteness of the designs? They are all like that, seriously! 

If you are a crochet fan, or know someone who is, then I would definitely recommend getting this book. It's very reasonably priced and with twenty designs to make, I think it's really good value.

Amigurumi Christmas by Sarah-Jane Hicks is published by Search Press and is available now.

ISBN: 978-1-78221-907-1

RRP: £9.99



2 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

Any instructions for left handlers?

VeggieMummy said...

My eldest hates sprouts (or 'Devil's Grapes'!) with a passion. I'd be very tempted to make her some for her stocking! :O) xx