Wednesday 4 January 2023

Hello 2023!

Hello and Happy New Year to you! I hope that you had a good Christmas if you celebrate it, and thank you so much for popping by. I have great hopes for 2023, both for my health and well-being and also for my crafting. I haven't done much designing at all over the last year but really hope that I can change that this year. I thought that I'd share some of my achievements over the past twelve months.

*** Starting IVIg ***
I started receiving infusions of immunoglobulin in February in an attempt to try to halt the progress of my myositis. Initially the funding was for just six months, but was extended for a further six months. I found out just before Christmas that it was going to be funded for a further twelve months which was the best Christmas present ever. I am incredibly lucky to have a great team of doctors fighting my corner for me, as IVIg is very expensive (it's known as liquid gold!) and I have a week of infusions at my local hospital every four weeks. It has definitely slowed down the progression and I am noticing some improvements in my strength, especially in my hands. Long may it continue!




*** Fundraising for Myositis UK ***

My fundraising for Myositis UK came to an end and I am thrilled to have raised £30, 540! That money is ring-fenced so that it has to be used for research. Once it gets allocated to a particular research project I will let you know.



*** Awards ***

I was nominated for two awards in the fundraising/charity categories. I was one of the winners in the CraftWorld awards and one of the finalists in the British Knitting and Crochet Awards. I'm very proud and couldn't have done it without your help! Thank you.





*** Knitting ***

I've knitted between forty and fifty pairs of socks this year, mostly as gifts, as well as three pairs of mitts and a cowl (also gifts.) I knitted three jumpers and a shawl too.











*** Toy making ***

I crocheted a teddy and a robin and knitted two teddies for Ukrainian refugees. I'd like to try and crochet some more toys this year. They make such lovely gifts.




*** Designing ***

I designed my first Granny Square for Granny Square Day last summer ( I still need to write up the pattern!) I also designed a pair of cushions - one knitted and the other crocheted - for the Stylecraft Blogstars Garden Party.






*** Spinning ***

I dusted off my spinning wheel and started to spin again. I had forgotten just how much I enjoy spinning and hope to continue throughout 2023.




What plans do I have for 2023? I would like to be a little bit more selfish with my knitting this year and make more things for myself! Having said that, all three projects currently on my needles and hook are gifts! I would like to do some more designing this year and have a few ideas bubbling away in my head. I want to continue with my spinning and finish up some projects that have been WIPs for far too long! I also want to knit and crochet from stash as much as possible. I have a group of knitty friends on Instagram and we have decided that 2023 will be the year of using up the yarn stash! I will let you know how I get on with that as I am very easily seduced by beautiful yarn! Do you have any crafting goals for 2023? xxx

5 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Happy New Year, Helen. Such great news about your infusions. I think that you've earned them with all your fundraising - that's a very impressive amount, well done. My, you have been busy this year - all those glorious socks, mittens, sweaters and toys. I definitely think that you need to do more knitting for yourself in 2023. My crafty goals are quite limited at the moment - to finish off my Christmas socks and to knit a sleeveless jumper that I bought the yarn for at the Southern Wool Show. After all, Unravel is just around the corner! :O) xx

Noreen said...

More power to your elbow! Wishing you good health and abundant happiness this new year and ongoing!

Jane Winter said...

Thank you for your posts throughout the year Helen; I love reading them. I really hope that 2023 goes well for you. I cannot believe how much you achieved in 2022! My plan for 2023 is to grow lots of fruit and vegetables in my garden. I also want to do some more knitting. Although it seems to aggravate my shoulder if I knit too much, I think that this is largely because I spend too much time working on a computer. Consequently, I hope that when I reduce my paid work in September I will be able to increase my knitting.
Best wishes
Jane

Sandra H said...

Happy new year to you, Helen. So enjoyed your post. Have been reading your blog for a number of years and you are always so positive and inspiring. Can’t believe how much you managed to complete this year. 2023 is hopefully going to be the year of finishing some WIPs for me, but think I said that last year.
Best wishes
Sandra

Jennyff said...

Happy new year to you and Flo. My main achievement last year was being cross most of the time. This year I will try to be calm and knit more but you know me, all talk.